I ran a train today

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I say that because for the first time on my layout I assembled, sent out, and delivered a string of freight cars that each had a destination and purpose.
I've been kicking around operations ideas but today actually ran one. I made a list of the industries on my layout, decided what sorts of rail traffic each would generate, selected appropriate frieght cars, arranged them in a small yard according to destination along the route, called out a pair of locomotives and a caboose from a nearby siding, coupled the train up, walked along the length of the five foot long train with a switch list recording car numbers and road names, and rolled out of town!

I made the switching moves required and checked off each job on the list as I went. Reaching the end of the line, I doubled back with some pickups specified on the switch list and returned to the yard. The prep and the little bit of paper work really enhanced my enjoyment of moving trains around my layout! Its a small approximation of the real thing but it felt like "fun work" and made it all seem a little more important if that makes any sense! :)

Ralph

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Way to go Ralph. Just like the real thing. Must have made running the train very enjoyable having a purpose for doing it.

Sir_Prize

Wohoo! Great for you Ralph! :thumb:

Setting up for Operations certainly seems to be the "big" thing these days.
I can see where it will be fun. Now... Just to get my guts up and keep plugging at
my layout. :rolleyes:

Best to ya" ... Buy the way the N Scale just in the past fews months ran an article
'bout what a fellow days for Ops. on his Milliwaukee (sp?) layout. It actually made
me more interested in setting up some sort of Plan.

Ralph congrats to you. I just found this thread. Making a list and using it to spot your industries is just what the prototype does. We also have a list of the cars coming from the industries that tell us where they are going once they get back to the yard. Then the yard switcher sorts them out to get them on the right train going in the direction of their next destination. Lots of paper on the real thing and a little less on the model rr. :D
Greg

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hi rc,
I think that's fine. I've been thinking of doing the same for some trains too and then returning the engine "light" back to the yard. Pickups make it more complicated and I have to figure out where best to add them to the train so I don't gum up set outs later down the line. Do you railroaders out there tend to tack pickups at one end of the train or the other...or doesn't it matter?
Ralph

SD90

I find that it has added much more operating fun doing this, I mean it's fun just running trains around, but when cars have a origin and a destination, on or off the layout, it is very interesting to operate. Now I'm going around and adding more industries for even more switching ability!

rcwatkins

SD90 said:
I find that it has added much more operating fun doing this, I mean it's fun just running trains around, but when cars have a origin and a destination, on or off the layout, it is very interesting to operate. Now I'm going around and adding more industries for even more switching ability!
Good for you. I really need to find some industries for my layout.

brakie

Indeed..Operation brings your trains to life..Think of this..Instead of your cars hauling air now they are hauling "freight" to and from your industries..
Now to my minds eye the "freight" in those cars means tonnage..Which means do I need to add another unit to that local in order to pull that "tonnage"? :D

GFR

jealous of everyone that is running trains *LOL*!! but I am getting close.. starting setting things up to run a track underneath.. and surpirising the wood work is going quickly.... then track laying.....