Howdy - fan of Babylon 5, sci-fi, Looney Tunes, Comic Strips, etc.

Natureboyfig4

Jan 17, 2018
West Virginia
Hi,

I'm new to the board. I got here by following a LOT of old links, trying to find printable Babylon 5 cardstock models. (I just got a good, working printer and tons of backup ink). One of them was for a site called '"Jay's Box of Sci-Fi CardToys", and it had a link to this site. I'm really hoping I can find working links to the patterns here. I'm gonna browse a while and see what all I can find. If anyone sees this and can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks!

* EDIT
After a lot of searching, I found a few of them in some archived websites. Whenever I get some finished, I'll post the results so you can see what you think. I'm still looking forward to posting/reading/searching, etc here. :)

* EDIT #2 (Yes, I know this won't do anything for my post count, and I'm totally OK with that). After reading the rest of the rules, I see that I'm supposed to wait 4 weeks and make at least 10 substantial posts before getting to browse the resource section (which, I'm hoping, contains the B5 models I was originally after). I understand, and I'm completely OK with that, too. In the meantime, I'll keep reading, & hopefully think of some stuff to contribute, too.

A couple of the projects that I'll eventually be doing will be building a vintage Revell Babylon 5 (the station) model kit that I recently got off eBay, and rebuilding/completing a partially-built Deep Space Nine (station) kit that I picked up a couple years ago. It's a clear kit, partially assembled but broken, but has all the main parts. I'll be sure to take lots of before, during, and after pictures on that one; probably moreso than on the B5 kit. At the time, I was low on funds, and getting a used/broken one was the only way to go. If I manage to get it to turn out well (especially without decals or original instructions), I'm gonna be REALLY proud of it!

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Great that you made an Introduction, you have no idea how much that is appreciated. Your post will count towards your post count as they are genuine, and we want interested people to join the forum. Please feel free to post pictures of any previously made models, no matter what they are made of. Welcome to Zealot!! :)

Don't know which link you found, but this is the one you want.

Link = http://scincepaper.ucoz.com/news/zavtra_vojna_rossijskaja_direktorija/1-0-2

Last edited:
Reactions: Natureboyfig4

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi Natureboyfig4, I love your avatar.

WHOOOOO!

That said, was never a 'Natch' fan, I preferred Bert Hart :) There are a few B5 models around, I built B5 itself (sadly destroyed during renovations :()

Welcome to Zealot, the best place for models!

subnuke

Banned
Nov 18, 2007
Welcome aboard. This forum is definitely one of varied interests. Browse around and you'll find where to post various modeling styles, fiction, art, you name it.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Welcome to Zealot! :)

I'd love to see some pics of your previous builds. Don't be afraid because they are from plastic, we have a place for all kind of models here, and this welcoming thread is te prefect place to show what you have done already.

Have fun and enjoy! :)

RF

Natureboyfig4

Jan 17, 2018
West Virginia
Great that you made an Introduction, you have no idea how much that is appreciated. Your post will count towards your post count as they are genuine, and we want interested people to join the forum. Please feel free to post pictures of any previously made models, no matter what they are made of. Welcome to Zealot!! :)

Don't know which link you found, but this is the one you want.

Link = http://scincepaper.ucoz.com/news/zavtra_vojna_rossijskaja_direktorija/1-0-2

Thank you! Those are some amazing models! Now I'll just have to find a program that uses .PDO files. The ones I've printed before have been .PDF or standard pictures. I'll post some pictures of previous builds in a little while. Should they be done as replies in this thread, or in another part of the forums? Thanks!

Natureboyfig4

Jan 17, 2018
West Virginia
Hi Natureboyfig4, I love your avatar.

WHOOOOO!

That said, was never a 'Natch' fan, I preferred Bert Hart :) There are a few B5 models around, I built B5 itself (sadly destroyed during renovations :()

Welcome to Zealot, the best place for models!

Thanks! This was a really fun picture to make. I saw a Facebook page, called "Ric Flair Was There", that posted funny Photoshopped pictures of Flair, and decided to make one of him as "Doctor Whoo". Matching his head with the picture of Tom "Fourth Doctor" Baker was the easy part. The logo at the bottom was more challenging. I mixed elements of a classic Doctor Who logo and a classic Four Horsemen logo, and moved the "Who" part to the left to make room for an extra "O." When it was done, I added it to the Baker picture, then added some perspective lines to the whole thing to resemble the Time Vortex effect. Not many people on the Flair page got the gag, but my family and friends did. I still think it was worth it. :)

Reactions: Cybergrinder

subnuke

Banned
Nov 18, 2007
Pepakura does the .pdo format. Free program to use existing files, pay to make the files to share with others. Search for pepakura and you'll find it.

Natureboyfig4

Jan 17, 2018
West Virginia
OK, assuming I can get this to come out right, here's one of my previous builds: A 1:1 Terminator Head model I got off eBay and seriously modified using a mix of plastic rods from a hobby shop, a water bottle cap, stick-on plastic gems, parts of an old CPAP hose (air hose for treatment of my sleep apnia), spare warp nacelle caps from a model kit of the 1701 Enterprise, lots of putty, and tons of hobby knife/Dremel work:

Here, I'm just getting a rough idea together of how I want to assemble the kit. This was in early January of 2012:
2012-01-20 - Eye-Teeth Idea.jpg 2012-01-20 - CPU Socket Idea.jpg 2012-01-20 - Cable Ends Idea.jpg 2012-01-20 - Battery Compartment Idea.jpg

Here, I'm getting a start on the hobby knife/Dremel work:

2012-04-04 - Eyes - Teeth - Jaw.jpg 2012-04-04 - Eyes Open - Teeth Taking Shape.jpg 2012-04-04 - Space behind teeth - hole for side support.jpg 2012-04-04 - Work on CPU Socket & Support Peg Began.jpg

Last edited:

Natureboyfig4

Jan 17, 2018
West Virginia
Now, I started on the fun stuff: Making false-removable parts into actual removable parts and building inner supports for electronics. At the same time, I added parts of an insulin needle (for treating my diabetes) to the right side, in order to personalize it a bit. I used the plunger cap and part of the plunger (the part that pushes the medicine in). This was in April of 2012:

2012-05-29 - Insulin Plunger & Needle Cap.jpg 2012-04-04 - Work on CPU Socket & Support Peg Began.jpg

At first, I thought I'd be able to leave the mock screws in the CPU socket. Later, I realized I'd have to cut them out and build a new socket cover. For the socket itself, I used an empty pill bottle from one of my regular prescriptions.

2012-05-20 - CPU Socket - Pill Bottle.jpg 2012-05-20 - CPU Test Fit.jpg 2012-06-06 - CPU Cover - Water Bottle Cap - Self-Stick Jems.jpg

I ordered an unfinished 1:1 CPU cast off eBay, but they sent a finished one by mistake. I liked it, so left it mostly as-is. For the socket, I used some stiff green foam out of an old flower arrangement my wife was getting rid of. It was easy to get it to go into the bottom of the old pill bottle.
2012-05-20 - Flower Foam CPU Socket.jpg

And now I began work on the support pieces so I could mount the electronics, and not just have them taped to the inside of the skull. I used plastic pieces from a local hobby shop to build the supports. I made a platform that was big enough to hold the battery compartment, as well as a raised part to hold the switch. On the underside, I attached a cable clip to hold the light wires in place. This was in May of 2012:

2012-05-29 - Battery-Switch Platform.jpg 2012-05-29 - Battery Platform 2 - Switch Platform.jpg 2012-05-29 - CPU socket - Battery & Switch Platform - Lip.jpg 2012-05-29 - Wire Harness.jpg

Last edited:

Natureboyfig4

Jan 17, 2018
West Virginia
In early June of 2012, I put on the first coat of primer. I also decided to use an old CPAP hose as the cables going down the Terminator's back:

2012-06-06 - First Primer.jpg 2012-06-06 - CPAP Tubing Primer.jpg 2012-06-06 - CPAP Tubing.jpg
2012-06-08 - Shot on Back Showing Modifications.jpg 2012-06-25 - Back View - Battery Compartment, Hoses.jpg

The LEDs that were included for the red eyes just didn't look right to me, so I decided to cut the eye holes out bigger and use some spare warp nacelle caps from an Enterprise 1701 model kit I'd done previously You can also more closely see the work I did on the teeth; removing some and reshaping others, so the model would more closely resemble my own head:

2012-06-25 - Eyes - Warp Nacelle 1701 Caps.jpg2012-06-25 - Front View - Teeth Closeup.jpg

The paint that I used was black chrome. I used off-white for the teeth. I think I mixed a little yellow in.

Last edited:

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Now that's what I call an intro! Nice metallic on the head also!! We love mods or "Greebles" as we tend to call them..and yes we have a few folks that like Babylon 5 stuff ( to put it mildly!!) I am going to get a rapid influx of PM's now wanting to know how the progress is going on the Centauri Vorchan I have been working on for I guess over a year now... well not really working on, but let's say it is in the works.. and NOT FORGOTTEN!!
Welcome to Zealot, look forward to seeing more from you!