How to resize your pictures

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In order to prevent memory issues it is important that you resize your pictures to a maximum size of 1000 x 1000 pixels before posting them. This is the best compromise between file size and quality. There are many ways to do so. In this little tut I'll be showing you some of them.

Single pictures can be resized by loading them into one of the many free or commercial graphic programs such as Gimp, Paint.NET or Photoshop. If you wish to resize many pictures a program with a batch-resize function will be handy.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
GIMP:

Load the picture.

1.jpg

Image > Resize

2.jpg

Change the largest number (width or height) to "1000" > scale. The little chain symbol must be closed in order to keep the aspect ratio intact. If the chain symbol is broken up click on it to close it again.

3.jpg

In order not to overwrite the original picture you should save the new image under a new file name:
File > Save as > enter new file name > OK.

4.jpg

Done! :)

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Paint.NET:

Load the picture > Image > resize

5.jpg

Change the largest absolute number (width / height) to "1000" > OK. The "keep ratio" check box must be ticked in order not to distort the image.

6.jpg

In order not to overwrite the original picture you should save the new image under a new file name:
Image > Save as > OK.

7.jpg

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is the basic procedure and you already see that it is virtually identical, no matter which programme you use. However, if you have more than one picture to be resized it is easier to perform a batch-resize.

The best and easiest way offers

PhotoFiltre:

Start the program. Tools > Automate / batch.

8.jpg

9.png

File:
Choose the source folder.
Choose the output folder. To make navigation easier create a new folder within the source folder.
If you want to resize all pictures of the source folder uncheck "Custom selection".
If you want to resize single images from the source folder check "Custom selection" and click on every picture you want to resize while holding the Ctrl button.

10.png

Image:
Check "Image size"
Width: 1000
Height: 1000
Check "Preserve aspect ratio" and "Optimize"

11.png

Action:
OK.

Wait till the batch-resize is complete.

12.png

"Save settings" saves all settings, source and output folder locations etc. and will become handy if you return to your project folder in the future.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Very well written!

I use XNViewMP. I have just removed the metadata, and resized the pic to 99% of the original size, and end up with pics that are in the Kilobytes in size, yet are still huge in appearance, and have excellent definition.

Link = https://www.xnview.com/en/ Make sure you get the right version for you machine, 32 bit or 64 bit, or Apple OS.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's interesting. I mainly use XNView as gallery browser.

BTW, all of you are free to post tutorials for other programs here, of course. :)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
I don't use "Paint" Often but when I do .. it is just to get something on Zealot to describe something I am blathering about and I need a quick example.. so

Open Paint.. In window 10 now it is by using Cortana, and typing Paint

Paint.jpg

Load your Pix and select select all...
Paint2.jpg

Then select resize .. select pixels .. and maintain aspect ratio .. type in size for the maximum width or height (depending on whether it is portrait or landscape)
and hit OK...
Paint3.jpg

This is important..make sure that the marquee is still active...(dotted line around pic ) and then select CROP ! If you don't it will shrink your picture but leave the size at the original with a large BLANK space! If you save as .png it is a large ..INVISIBLE blank space!

Paint6.jpg

Notice that the size now is 1000 x 425 and file size is 311.9kb... before saving

after saving it is 137 kb and same picture quality!
Docking.jpg ..
It takes way more time to explain it that do..you can resize a dozen pix just about as fast as setting up a batch file to do it in another program.. or have them do before the others have even loaded! good for those things you need RIGHT NOW!

I also find MWSnap3 the best friend I ever had for screen caps...there are a bunch of ways to set up and key combos for parts of screens .. just works great for my needs!

PS... this pix I was just playing around and it is the docking bay under the Imperial Star Destroyer I showed recently...in "not full renders" and I docked the CR-90 at scale.. Jeshshh I thought the CR90 was big! The docking bay is just a pin hole in the belly of this beast! when you pan out to see the whole thing the Cr90 looks like a flea!

Attachments

• Paint4.jpg
    Paint4.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Paint5.jpg
    Paint5.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 0