How do you ...?

DeckRoid

Hi there

So, I have searched for the better of half last night and again this morning on a "How To" or even a "This is what I did" when it comes to attaching figures to cars, engines, what have you.

See, I have a few open cars and a nice new caboose and some figures I wanna attach to said cars, like in some pics I have seen. (I'm lookin' your direction Chessie4155...)

sign1

I have this memory from a family trip to California in 1972 of a hobo waving at us from a flat car hauling large concrete culverts. He had a six pack of beer and was waving for all he was worth. Even did a little jig. I thought it would be cool to re-enact, if you will, a childhood memory. Minus the jig part. I don't think I could handle a dancing hobo yet.

I thought about just gluing, but maybe I should use my smallest drill bit and pin vise a hole, then use a bit of wire and glue.

What I don't want to do is just start in with no concept of how to make this work and mess it up. I have a caboose that I can use as a trial, but I really don't want to waste, or mess up, a figure. These little guys are kinda spendy...

Any help would be great.:thumb:

Thanks!

George

abutt

George..Try "Tacky" glue, the thick kind that comes in a jar at your local craft store. Will hold the figures in place, but not forever.

Allan

DeckRoid

Thanks, Allan.

I have some tacky glue... if I ever wish to remove the figures, does the residue clean up easily?

George

doctorwayne

I find that Woodland Scenics Accent Glue works well. Just apply a little to the hobo's feet (or bum), let it turn clear, then set him in place. You can remove him easily or simply move him to another place, but the glue will hold him securely enough for most situations. There seems to be no residue, but any that does occur will rub off easily with your fingertip.
That's one of the Evell boys standing in the street below - he's been there for over a year trying to get into that car, and a couple of others that have also occupied that same spot. I could easily pick him up and have him still stand up in another location, too. ;)
2007-01-10_480.jpg

Wayne

DeckRoid

Doc,

Thanks for the info. I have read all sorts of ways to adhere figures and this makes the most sense, allowing for repositioning.

Now, I don't know what the fellow above did, but surely going home to his wife can't be that terrible? Or did he lock himself out of his car and is just too stubborn to call AAA?

George