Hi, My name is Major Applegate

Major Applegate

Feb 26, 2018
I guess that makes a big statement - click bait really - but it is true. While cartooning at THE Ohio State University Mr. Watterson came in when he was still working in Dayton as an editorial cartoonist. For lack of proper perspective, his editorial cartoons were his bread and butter but his seminal opus (no pun intended) was a series to be released soon. The words he spoke that I remember most was to draw and draw and draw and that he had nearly a year's worth of strips before he began publishing.

My interests are the paper craft of 2001 (moonbus, Orion, space station) and unique pop-up stories that I am writing. Also, I am searching for Uhu tubes of All Purpose Adhesive in the United States. Seriously - where can this stuff be found aside from Amazon?

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
First, "Welcome to Zealot!!". :wave:

You can find UHU Glue at "Michael's Craft Stores". They have them all over the Northeast and many other parts of the U.S..

Feel free to post pics of anything you have made. Upload directly to the forum. Please check out the Rules and Policies, common sense stuff. Welcome aboard. :)

Major Applegate

Feb 26, 2018
Thank you for the reply.

Been to Michael's in Central Ohio and been greeted by the Deer in the Headlights after a thorough search. No UHU in tubes (plenty of sticks though) nor Duco Cement. Thoroughly discouraging as Amazon has it but is shipped from overseas with considerable markup. The Aleen's Original Tacky Glue appears to be a recommendation but really appreciated the UHU tack.

As I am new to the forums I will search for the group's recommendations.

Thanks,
Maj.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Hello Major,

Welcome to Zealot.
Having the opportunity to meet Bill Watterson is a huge honour!
Another place that you might want to try is Hobby Lobby or Joann Fabrics for the UHU glue.

To echo Zathros, by all means, please post photos of the models that you have already built. I would also like to encourage you to post build threads as well. Build threads are a great way to show off your skills as well as highlight problem areas that you want to bring attention to, if you need help or you have found an interesting solution to solve it.

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, need help or advice, please feel free and ask. We will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

Once again, welcome aboard. I hope that you enjoy yourself.

Major Applegate

Feb 26, 2018
So . . . ordering Zip Dry and UHU (despite the expense I guess).

Thanks to Rhaven and Zathros (I was listening to a post on glues made in 2015).

Will post as soon as I have something to show. Papercuts and scraps do not make a real impressive build log.

I also had lunch with Mr. Chekov (Walter Koenig) in an Houston restaurant in 1975. Star Trek had not taken off as big as it is today and he was quite affable. Now Shatner is a whole 'nuther issue.

Have I dropped enough names?
;-)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi Major,

Welcome to Zealot! the best place to be for paper models (& other forms ;)) I too would like to see some of your work, we tend to be quite tough on ourselves in this hobby :)

with regards to name drops; what, no Star Wars cast members? ;)

Reactions: zathros

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You guys are ahead of me. I didn't know who Bill Watterson even was!. I did know Mary Travers, of Peter Paul and Mary fame, she was one of the nicest people you could ever know. My wife took care of her gardens when (my wife) was much younger. Peter was also very nice. It was a small town, so bumping into people who were famous was inevitable. I ran into Robert Vaughn from the old "Man from U.N.C.L.E." series, he was quite a jerk. I also met Daryl Hall, from "Hall and Oates", not my kind of music, a very nice person though.. I helped his girlfriend, who was stuck on the side of the road, out of gas. She introduced him to me at the supermarket.

I knew Robert Sinclair the former President of SAAB automotive of North America. He was quite a character. He offered me an entry level position at the SAAB Headquarters in Connecticut. I didn't take him up on it, I like to keep friends and work apart. Probably one of the bigger mistakes I've made. He invited me to be part of his entourage to meet the King and Queen of Sweden, he had rented a 747. I was honored he asked me, but felt I was out of my element. He was an avid motorcyclist, and I encountered into him often when riding. He had one of the largest collections of vintage motorcycles in the world. We partied pretty hard at Laconia, New Hampshire, at the motorcycle get together. He introduced me to Robert Penske. Man, those guys could really put down the hard alcohol.

Maybe this can become a name dropping thread? I'd rather see some pictures though! :)

Major Applegate

Feb 26, 2018
Awww - Lord love a duck - this was just an intro and here we are comparing our rulers.

Okay, Cybergrinder, my second tie-in with Star Wars was with David Prowse. He sold my Yoda figure that I created for a SF convention. The head was carved out of clay, a mold wrapped around it and the mold produced five serviceable likeness of it and did the same for hands and feet, cobbled a fabric body and joined it all together. Considering that there wasn't anything on the market like it at the time it was kinda neat to have the only one.

Mr. Prowse' line at auction was, "This is not a Datsun. This is a toy Yoda."

Groans for everybody.

Looking for the slides to convert to pictures to convert to scan to convert to JPG.

Reactions: Cybergrinder

Major Applegate

Feb 26, 2018
Cybergrinder:

Big he was but greater the trouble Twentieth Century Fox would cause should I have done more.

Lawyers strong in the Federal Laws of Copyright.

Major Applegate

Feb 26, 2018
Thanks for the welcome, On-Fire!

The UHU I remember from childhood (back when the earth's crust was cooling) was somewhat flammable (or inflammable depending on . . . whatever) and left a string when applied from the tube to the surface of the paper.

I was on the German website and the EN translation but did not see a store related to it although Stadtler was a link and, again, nothing in their United States location.

For all the glue in China, I can not believe how many choices there are for UHU - all I want to do is glue PAPER!

Anyway - thanks for the offer but the inherent costs of glue and shipping make Amazon acceptable.

pictures coming.

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
OK.. Fist off Welcome to Zealot!!
Wow .. Lots of name dropping there and WHAT an intro!

UHU glue can be found in my local Walmart and trust me my closest town is a stop to get to the small cattle stop on a rail line! So anywhere larger should have it!

I personally use Aleen's Original Tacky Glue in the always ready ( sits upside down bottle) that seals better that the others and I don't have to wait for it to get to the spout, but it HAS to be fresh as it gets older it tends to thicken and get harder to work with. but it glues up fast and grabs well! But each to his own as we like to say!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I've loaded animated Gifs, they should work.

As far as glues go, I do like ZIP DRY also.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Since we are name dropping, in 2015 when I was in Seattle, WA. I went to Galacticon 4, where I had the opportunity to meet a few of the cast of both the original and new Battlestar Galactica. (in order, left to right; Richard Hatch, Terry Carter, Anne Lockhart, and Luciana Carro)

IMAG0081[1].jpg 20170528_091555[1].jpg IMAG0084[1].jpg IMAG0083[1].jpg

They were all very nice people. ALthough, I greatly enjoyed the opportunity to actually talk with Mr. Hatch, Mr. Carter and Miss Lockhart. I had a GREAT TIME!!!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Since we are name dropping, in 2015 when I was in Seattle, WA. I went to Galacticon 4, where I had the opportunity to meet a few of the cast of both the original and new Battlestar Galactica. (in order, left to right; Richard Hatch, Terry Carter, Anne Lockhart, and Luciana Carro)

View attachment 163536 View attachment 163537 View attachment 163538 View attachment 163539

They were all very nice people. ALthough, I greatly enjoyed the opportunity to actually talk with Mr. Hatch, Mr. Carter and Miss Lockhart. I had a GREAT TIME!!!

That is really cool!! :)

Last edited:

Major Applegate

Feb 26, 2018
So . . . this is an introduction thread?

Presently, my build is a full sized 2000 Buick Regal. I am detailing it with silver on heavy cardstock and using Duco cement and Gorilla tape.

What I am trying to do is make it as photo real by including rust and dents to confuse my neighbors.

Pictures tomorrow.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I hope it is!