Help with 23V transformers from Roco?

Les Henits

Dec 17, 2008
Just finished my basement, so am ready to start building my 12' x 10' benchwork. I'm new to this hobby, and was wondering if the 230V transformer which came with my Roco set purchased in Austria will work here on a 220V line which my electrician can install. He can run a new 220V line from my subpanel box in the basement. Question: will this work or are there other considerations regarding electricty?

If not, what transformers would work on my digital set?

Thanks,

Les
Stroudsburg, PA

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
A couple of comments. It would probably cost more to wire a special 220 volt circuit than the cost of a new 110 volt power supply. I don't know about the quality of power supplies that come with european train sets but if they are like some here in the US, they are marginal output. Also, ask your electrician about the effect, if any of using a transformer that is for a 50hz system (european standard) I don't know if there would be any but maybe someone here could enlighten us both on that.

Just another thought. One 220 volt, odd circuit in a house can lead to all kinds of problems unless it is clearly marked as such. I'm thinking of kids putting things into the recepticle or even unwary adults trying to plug 110 items into the 220.