for a little help with paint effects.
biggrin.gif

I am stratch building a old time service station, the building stage is done
thumbsup.gif
but I am having trouble with a paint efect that I am trying to do,
curse.gif
and that is flaking paint, the painters are on the job,
thumbsup.gif
and the top half of the sidewall looks great( light blue).
thumbsup.gif

Its the rest of the building that is give me a headacke,
cry.gif
how do I make the rest of the building (New white styrine,) look like old wood that is in need of a new paint job???...

I am looking for the easyest, best, and cheepest way to do this, any hints, help, or advice would be eagerly, greatfuly, apreciated.thanks in advance for any help that may come forth... have a good one..steve

trainworm

one easy way to do flaking and peeling paint is to use Micro Mask from Microscale. you put down your first coat of paint, wait for it to dry, then brush on the Micro Mask wherever you need it, then add your second coat of paint. after that dries, just peel off the bits of Micro Mask and you get a good peeling paint effect.

you can also use rubber cement in the same way. just peel it off after the second coat of paint.

ausien

Hi TW,
Thanks, I newthere must have been a simpleway of doing this efect, I am using raw poster paint on board etched styrine to make a weather board service station, and rubbing on the paint with a tishue, then rubbing most of it off with methalated sprits, to give a light, faded look, but it also required a pealing look,will this method work with the poster paint that I am using and the metho???.pix can be seen in my members gallery, hope you like them, I still have not masterd the how to post them here with my post.....have a good one..steve

ezdays

Out AZ way
Just to add some speculation here, but there is a paint product that is used to obtain a "crackle" effect to age furniture for instance. I haven't a clue how it would work on plastic, or if the crackling would be fine enough to look like aging on a model, but I know it is a two or three part process that has possibilities. You could talk to someone in the paint dept at your local home center.... I kinda doubt that Home Depot has made it down there yet, or has it???

Oh yeah, there is a "sticky" thread in the photo forum giving you a step-by-step for posting pictures here in the forums. It includes how to resize the picture and reduce the file size. If you need more help than that, just ask.

ausien

Thanks E D,:thumb: but I have read that step by step, and this dumy,:D ( pc way ) still could not figure it out. :confused: NG manage to get me to post pix in my gallery by posting them for me, now how dumb am I. :p LOL..I have been told that its so easy that a 2yr old could do it.:curse: .. may be one day I get some hands on help from a 2 yr old kid, know any???.:D by the way they have not made it yet, bunnings has just arived, but give them time and they will get here no dout.:) and thanks for the crackle tip, I might try it out on a piece of scrap and see what happens...have a good one..steve:wave: :wave: :wave:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Steve,

To start with, you need a photo application to resize both the picture and file to meet the requirements. Got to this thread in the photo forum and there are some suggestions there regarding the use of a free photo application that will work. There are several photo apps around that are good and are free if you don't have one already. If you do, what is it? Maybe I can walk you through it...:)

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
I use rubber cement.

I paint the wall the color that I want to show under the top coat. I seal it with Dullcoat.

Then where I want the paint to peel I apply rubber cement. After the rubber cement dries I paint the final color. When the final color dries I take a coarse eraser like the gray side of gray/white eraser and carefully go over the rubber cement areas and make the paint peel. When I am satisfied I seal it.

Check out my Grain Elevator Diorama ( http://www.the-gauge.com/thread15212-.html ) and Pink Boutique: Lame to Fame ( http://www.the-gauge.com/thread10681-.html ) topics.

jim currie

if you are using a acylic paint drops if oil will give a nice blistered affect plus a bit if staining.

PS this works only with spray paint.

ausien

Tom checked out the grain elavator, nice job, and that is the efect I am trying to get, so I will try to coppy you method, I left a post for you, great job.

Thanks Jim, the paint sI am using is called poster paints, they are the paints the kids use in school,( thats where I got them) water based, and clean up is with water...have a good one...steve

boomboom

Well steve:
the ideas put forth all real good ideas,now I will throw my 2 pennies into the mix,when I am trying to acheve the effect at hand I take a little bit of furnitur polish,spray it into a lid and brush the areas I want to look worn or getting ready for paint like in your project.
thats all for now my friend down under.
Mike{aka boomboom}

ausien

Here is the scratch built Garage/service station, that I am trying to achive the faded/peeling paint effect.(hope this works):D this is one of my first efforts at scratch building, I usualy do kits, or kit bashing. Your comments are most welcome and in fact asked for....have a good one..steve

Attachments

• ho layout 026.jpg
    ho layout 026.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 17

ezdays

Out AZ way
First of all, it appears that you've got the hang of attaching pictures. Like you say, easy once you know the steps. :wave:

I would think your next step on your peeling paint would be to get an alcohol/ink wash on it to weather it a bit. I would also think that it is begging for a rusy tin roof. Nice structure, great start...:thumb:

Here's a close up pic of a Campbell's church I did trying to model a peeling paint effect. I first stained all the wood parts with Olympic Driftwood stain, which is gray. Plastic parts received a coat of gray primer. After assembly, I sprayed on a light coat of cheap flat white spray paint. I then used a plastic bristle brush in my Dremmel to "peel" away the paint in various areas. Varying the speed and pressure provides drastically different results. A light India ink wash highlights the peeling areas.
abi.jpg

Doc

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Overall peeling effect can be done using liquid latex, thinned, and spattered by dipping an old tooth brush in the thinned latex, and flicking the bristles with your thumb while aiming the spatter at the building, you can get small enough drops of latex to realisticly become flaking paint. once the paint is dry, over the latex splatter, masking tape will lift the paint,on the latex droplets, leaving a severly flaking paint job.
Pete

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Tips & Tricks

All of you should post these techniques in the Tips & Tricks forum if they aren't there already. :thumb: :thumb: