Hello from Italy

JP64

Jun 19, 2020
Hello,

I'm JP from Rome, Italy... just registered to this forum.

I'm a ship modeler (static models) since I was 20 (now I'm over 50) and until 6-7 years ago I always scratch-builted my ship models using "traditional" materials (wood, metal, plastic, etc..) mainly in scale from 1:75 to 1:100.

My preferred subjects where the warships in the age from 1830 until early years of 1900, where the transition from sails to steam brought to naval building of the most interesting (from my point of view) and ugliest warship ever built..

In the last 7 years, less or more, I discovered the pleasure of paper modeling and so I've started the adventure in this field, where I have found a large number of subjects that can be built as a paper model.

So, since far, I leaved on the shelf my old "traditional" approach of ship modeling and I started to build many paper models, acquiring knowledge and techniques model after model.

I'm happy to be here, in this Forum and I hope to learn more also from other paper modelers from all over the world.

Happy paper modeling !

Ciao
Jp

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Let me be the first to welcome you to Zealot! I personally love old ship models, although I haven't built one since the '60s, I think you will find as I have card is just another form of wood and can be used in all the old modeling with just a few alterations!
It is also far cheaper than the wood required, for a quality model. ;)

As always, " If you have questions, just ask! Someone here is bound to help or point in the right direction!"

We would LOVE to see some of your work!!

EDIT: I see you also posted a model...

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Hello JP,

Welcome to Zealot! You have come to the right place for all things paper! We are happy to have you here!
I just saw your SMS Sachsen thread. You did a PHENOMENAL JOB on that ship! If you have any questions, concerns, need help or advice, please feel free to ask. We will do what all we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction). When you do build a model I would like to invite you to post build threads of your projects. Build threads are a great way to show off your skills and techniques, as well as to highlight problem areas that you may need help with or show how you were able to solve said problem.
Once again welcome aboard. I hope that you enjoy yourself.

JP64

Jun 19, 2020
Let me be the first to welcome you to Zealot! I personally love old ship models, although I haven't built one since the '60s, I think you will find as I have card is just another form of wood and can be used in all the old modeling with just a few alterations!
It is also far cheaper than the wood required, for a quality model. ;)

As always, " If you have questions, just ask! Someone here is bound to help or point in the right direction!"

We would LOVE to see some of your work!!

EDIT: I see you also posted a model...

Thanks for this warm welcome, Gandolf50... I really hope to get some other ideas looking at the other modeler' models... (sorry for words joke..)

Indeed the paper-modeling can be a real challenge, and a great satisfaction for a modeler that can simply "switch" from ship models, to military models, from airplanes to sci-fi, to architectural ones... without change all the tools every time and avoiding to produce a large amount of wast dust (typical for wooden modeling, as example).

To be honest, I started to be "addicted" to paper modeling because when I'm out of home for work (I travel a lot in European countries and sometimes in USA for my company) something was "missing" during the lonely nights in hotel (I missed a lot to 2move my hands" building something.. but wth the impossibility to built a wooden ship model) and so I found that paper modeling is a wonderful kind of hobby that you exercise wherever you're (at home in Italy or in an hotel room in London, Madrid, Paris, Amsterdam or in San Francisco or New York) and, moreover, you can bring it with you the model you're building (with a bit of care in packaging and managing) also from city to city.. from country to country.. Obviously that last part of the construction and final assembly is made in my homeland, at home, where models have their own cases to be protected by dust.

So, I hope to learn and, if someone wants, also to explain some of my ways and techniques.

Have all a nice and relaxing paper-modeling weekend

Ciao

JP

Reactions: Gandolf50

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Welcome to Zealot. I too love ship building and had the pleasure of working on some real tall ships in my life. I enjoy lofting hulls, and mostly enjoy simple sailing vessels. Welcome to Zealot, and please feel free to post pics of anything you have made in this thread. ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Hello JP,

thank you for posting this nice introduction.

Your Sachsen turned out GREAT!!! It's awesome to have you on board. thumbsup

Take care and have fun and enjoy! :)

Marcell

Delta Elite

Jun 10, 2020
Welcome to your new family. The people here have a wealth of knowledge and skills. You will find this site is informative and generous.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Welcome aboard, we are glad to have you.

Benvenuti a bordo, siamo lieti di averti.

JP64

Jun 19, 2020
Welcome to Zealot. I too love ship building and had the pleasure of working on some real tall ships in my life. I enjoy lofting hulls, and mostly enjoy simple sailing vessels. Welcome to Zealot, and please feel free to post pics of anything you have made in this thread. ;)

Hello, Zanthros !!

Thank you all very much for the welcome !!

Just to give an idea of my "past" models (made in traditional and by paper) here are some pics ..
They're not all (for example I don't have pics of some sailing ships I built in my early days of ship modeling) but are enough interesting for you, I hope.

French paddlewheels messenger "LE SPHINX" - 1829 - scale 1:75
uprtektl.jpg

German Ironclad Corvette "SMS SACHSEN" - 1877 - scale 1:100
wmXAWK4l.jpg

Steam Ironclad Italian frigate "RN REGINA MARIA PIA" - 1863 - scale 1:100
oWIvRiSl.jpg

Japanes steam ironclad "IJN KOTETSU" - 1868 - scale 1:75
eptmlo0l.jpg

Italian Ironclad corvette "RN TERRIBILE" - 1889 - Scale 1:100
ap5hPsYl.jpg

American oceanic turret monitor "USS ROANOKE" - 1863 - 1:100 scale
gBpY9JQl.jpg

Spanish battleship PELAYO - 1887 - Scale 1:100 (the model is still under construction but is waiting since some years)
EV49eyJl.jpg

And, now, some paper models

Russian battleship "IMPERATOR NIKOLAIJ I" - 1889 - Scale 1:200
Lta9HVIl.jpg

American armored cruiser USS MAINE (ACR-1) - 1889 - scale 1:200
kbM6vIEl.jpg

German steamship ALEXANDRA - 1908 - scale 1:250 (also in this model all rigging is made by paper)
BqAGXrul.jpg

Russian Battleship PERSVET - 1898 - Scale 1:200
UAaYj7bl.jpg

French armored cruiser CHANZY - 1894 - scale 1:200
PhNGrtkl.jpg

So.... those are some of my past models both in "traditional" that in paper.

I have built also some other paper models (but I don't have the pics with me) like the HMAS CERBERUS; the ironclad CSS Virginia; the ironclad turret ship HUASCAR; the protected cruiser SMS VICTORIA LOUISE; the coastal defense ship SMS BEOWULF; the Russian Imperial Steam Yacht LIVADIA.....

So, as you can understand, I'm a model-build addicted person (now quite fully focused on paper modeling), loving warships of particular shape and aspects... but I'm thinking that, in the next future, I'll try also new paper modeling fields like airplanes, buildings, sci-fi (I would like to build a model of ROCINANTE from Expanse series) and also try a military tank (preferring the odd tanks from 1st WW)

I hope that you'll like such my past works

Have a nice paper-modeling time !!!

ciao

Jp

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
All I can say is :Bravo: These look great. Fabulous builds and nice display. You can quickly take your place here as one of our Master ship builders.

Tutto quello che posso dire :Bravo: Questi sembrano grandi. Build favolose e bel display. Puoi prendere rapidamente il tuo posto qui come uno dei nostri maestri costruttori di navi.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
BEAUTIFUL! Thank you for these pictures. They show great craftmanship and dedication.

:Bravo: :Bravo: :Bravo: :Bravo: :Bravo:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Your work is superb and fastic. No doubt you can teach many people here and your suggestions will be well appreciated. I am most impressed how your craftsmanship did not decrease as the size of the models did. The small models stand as well detailed as the big ones. Excellent craftsmanship!! ;)

JP64

Jun 19, 2020
Hello and good morning !

I appreciate a lot all your words about my models... but, please, consider that are absolutely NOT perfect... there are many and many little mistakes done during the building and so, they're very faraway from "perfection"..

In any case, I try every time to do all my best, and I hope you'll like the next models..

At the moment I'm working on two new models :
  • The Russian protected cruiser Admiral Nakhimov in scale 1:200
  • The Russian battleship Borodino, also in scale 1:200
I'll open soon, for both, a separate thread regarding the building at the actual stage and I'll update the threads time by time..

As in my usual way, those builds will take a lot of time to be completed (many months, indeed) and, in this building period, I'll build also some more little and simpler models, just to "switch" sometimes my mind (and hands) from a very complex model to a more simpler one and vice versa ... In this way I'll be not "tired" about a specific model.

Have a nice time and happy paper-modeling !

Ciao

Jp

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
but, please, consider that are absolutely NOT perfect... there are many and many little mistakes done during the building and so, they're very faraway from "perfection"..
I think THIS is exactly what makes them so life-like. There is no perfection in nature, it's all chaos. The trick is to organise the chaos in a way that beauty and wonder is created. :)

Reactions: JP64

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Hello and good morning !

I appreciate a lot all your words about my models... but, please, consider that are absolutely NOT perfect... there are many and many little mistakes done during the building and so, they're very faraway from "perfection"..

In any case, I try every time to do all my best, and I hope you'll like the next models..

At the moment I'm working on two new models :
  • The Russian protected cruiser Admiral Nakhimov in scale 1:200
  • The Russian battleship Borodino, also in scale 1:200
I'll open soon, for both, a separate thread regarding the building at the actual stage and I'll update the threads time by time..

As in my usual way, those builds will take a lot of time to be completed (many months, indeed) and, in this building period, I'll build also some more little and simpler models, just to "switch" sometimes my mind (and hands) from a very complex model to a more simpler one and vice versa ... In this way I'll be not "tired" about a specific model.

Have a nice time and happy paper-modeling !

Ciao

Jp

The real ships aren't perfect either. When I used to sail, was amazed how many famus ships looked up close. Too perfect loses realism. ;)