Harry Potter Hogwarts Wizard Castle paper model - Resurrected!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Thank the Maker! The Internet Archive can be an astounding resource of all kind of files. While surfing through the forum I found an ancient model alert regarding a free version of Harry Potter's Hogwarts Castle. Unfortunately, the link was screwed and the many Google searches I ran only brought up some pictures but nothing more. The model seemed to be lost.

Today I tried searching the Wayback machine - and guess what I found: The original homepage and all pages intact!

Well, while I was looking at the model history the Wayback machine created a message that the site was still availale on the web today. I got curious and went to investigate. And guess what happened: The website was still there and with it all model files! HUGE SCORE. :)

Now I was curious to know why the model was not found any longer by any search engine. The explanation was quite simple, actually: The creator had renamed it in order to avoid copyright issues with Warner Bros. He simply calls it "Wizard Castle" now - which was the reason why you couldn't find anything when you were looking for "Harry Potter Castle" or "Hogwarts"!

1630953619832.png

1630953631212.png

1630953641019.png

This is such a gorgeous design and I highly recommend saving the files to your archive to preserve this model.

http://wiltshirecounty.npage.de/willkommen-welcome.html

http://wiltshirecounty.npage.de/wizard-castle-free-download.html

You'll have to right-click and save the links to get the parts sheets and instructions. There are many pictures on the build and a compressed ZIP file available.

It will look great in a model railroad arrangement, too!

Have fun and enjoy! :)

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Did a quick check of the SU model: Gorgeous. Little intersections which can be removed easily. Nice curves with efficient poly-count (not too many, not too less). Awesome texture. Should be a good replacement for the mentioned Schreiber Bogen. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
You are welcome! (You can't imagine how long I had been looking for this one, and then, all of a sudden, it was there again!) :)

SCEtoAux

Jul 28, 2004
USA
OO scale of 1:76 to N scale of 1:160 would be a 210.5% increase so you would print the 1:160 scale model at 210.5% to get the 1:76 scale model.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That's a pretty awesome castle. Never got into Harry Potter, but this looks great on it's own merits. ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I agree, this would be, especially on an N scale set up. I thought many elements were stolen from Ursula K. LeGuin's tales of EarthSea. I guess it's hard to come up with original works. Maybe it's all been done, and the generations following are bereft of imagination. Everything now is a remake. It seems like there have been 80 or so Batman movies. "Tales of EarthSea" were not according to the book, I never even bothered watching it.

Myszaki had nothing to do with it, and his last film was kind of childish, as was his "whitewashing" of WWII Japan's wartime history in the other movie, I can't even remember the name.

I believe everyone should watch "Grave of the Fireflies" by Studio Ghibli, is a 1988 anime movie written and directed by Isao Takahata for Shinchoshat, it is a masterpiece. It shows what war is about, the futility of a people gone mad, and asked by a character, "What was this all for". The ending is shocking and haunting. My belief system does not allow for it as a reality, I take it as symbolism. Shintoism, as a belief system, would have left me horrified, so maybe many Japanese did not want to see it, I don't know. I do know that in that film, you see that regular people are regular people and get caught up in things that people with too much power sweep them into. It seems eerily consistent with the happenings of this time. Will nuclear bombs start dropping somewhere? There seems to be a good chance of it. If we are fired upon, we will shoot down the missile, in that, I have great confidence. The response will be horrific. The radiation will going around the world. There could be retaliation by unknown groups who may already be in this country. It's hubris to think we are so sheltered. There has to be some kind of devastating response though. The deaths will be unfathomable, no matter what happens.

Ursula K. Leguin link = http://www.ursulakleguin.com/GedoSenkiResponse.html (Tales of EarthSea bothup).

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
I would disagree with you on thee original work point. I think it's just easier to make a "blockbuster" (i.e.: generate large wads of cash) by rebooting a known idea/franchise. I'm sure I don't need to give examples :)

There's less risk as the characters, setting, etc. are already well known, less chance of a box-office bomb.

There are still original movies being written (Now you see me 1 & 2), just not as well advertised/marketed and harder to find. :(

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
This is a true statement. It's amazing how many old movies are unseen, like the 1951 film, "The River". It is beautifully filmed, and oh so relevant. :)

Martin Scorsese on "The River" Part 1 and 2:
Part 2:

The River