GPM F-4J Phantom II kit

stevebo

Feb 16, 2022
Hi everyone.
I'm newish to paper modelling and in lockdown bought the above kit, made a mess of it and bought another to do 'properly'.
The instructions are quite basic (and in Polish), and I cannot see how the fuselage sections are supposed to be joined to each other.
Each end of the section has a bulkhead frame and also a strip tab for one end, but you cannot glue the bulkheads to each other and use the strip
as well. Are they an alternative method? I'm flummoxed, and want to do this properly.
I await your expert advice.
Steve

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
sounds like you can use either the bulkheads glued together, or the spanner strip, but not both?

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
You can laminate the bulkheads and wrap the spanner strip around the bulkhead (making certain that the bulkhead is in the center if the strip). Then sliding the skin over the strip.

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
Welcome to Zealot! I would encourage you to do a build thread for this project as it sounds interesting. Plus seeing pictures of your progress will help us to assist you better. I would also recommend that you use a Web Translation program to help translate the Polish into English, such as Yandex Translate or Google Translate. Also,, doing a web search might prove fruitful in finding a set of instructions already translated into English.

Good luck with your project and I hope you enjoy your stay here!

stevebo

Feb 16, 2022
Thanks for your interest and suggestions. I have meanwhile come to the idea that indeed, you cannot use both. I think the bulkheads are essential for giving the shape of the section, and they should be glued face to face. You might see from the attached photos that gives the best finish (both are not good!) This kit is probably a step too far for my skills. It looks like you chaps don't use kits much? I did get the instructions translated by a Polish lady, but I fear it was a bit technical, and even web translations get confused. On the papermodelers forum, someone built this kit, but without much explanation. Last year I built GPMs Challenger tank, which took a long time but was easier because everything was flat! I might do a build thread.
The photo files appear too large, so I'll fiddle with them and post later

Reactions: Awry_Chaos

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Never use that tabs that come with a model. Cut them off carefully. The glue strips on the inside on one side of the part first. Make sure no glue gets on the part at the edge of the section so you can then line up, check for fit, then glue the next section onto the strip. This will put each part on the same plane. Tabs that are part of the model throw the adjacent part to a plane the thickness of the model. That's why they should be cut off. Always dri fit, and cut glue strips where necessary. Many times "less is more', if you know what I mean. Alwways try and get those edgest tight before you glue. It makes for a much more satisfying model, and will encourage you to keep going. Welcome to Zealot! )

stevebo

Feb 16, 2022
Thanks Zathros. This model has separate glue strips that you glue to the inside edge of one skin, so the next skin is aligned in the same plane. But it is impossible to use these strips and also have a bulkhead that is glued directly to the next bulkhead, the bulkheads giving shape to the section. If you use the strip to get good surface alignment and a bulkhead to get the section shape, there is always a gap of 2-3mm, which gives a slight dip in the skin surface. Tricky!