GPM 926 1:700 sinking Titanic

Papa Mashy

Masher of paper
Hi all,

Got a little distracted from the U-boat build...

My daughter is currently covering the Titanic at school and while mooching around the web, I came across this diorama and thought it would be good to build it so she could take it to school to hopefully ignite further thought and creativity around their work.

It's not the greatest of models with a few inaccuracies - most obvious that the top of the hull from the line of the well deck should be white. Anyway that doesn't really matter too much, it's just for the kids to poke, prod and and hopefully get a bit of excitement out of it.
Here is the link:

EDITED BY ADMIN...
DO NOT POST LINKS TO PAY FOR MODELS THAT HAVE BEEN RIPPED OFF!!!
YOU CAN BUILD THEM...JUST DONT POST THE LINK!!!

It was a bit of a rush job over a weekend so I didn't do any of the usual tidying. Just glued it up as is.
The pdf was a bit fuzzy so the lines were not great but hey, it's free and still fun to build!
In any case the models life expectancy once it arrives at school is going to be short. Even shorter than the real ship I expect.

Build photos below:
DSCN2188.JPG
First mistake...
DSCN2189.JPG
The instructions are a little sparse and the main useful guide is the exploded diagram, but it's difficult see alignments. Should have not been in such a rush, thought about it, and referenced other sources!
Matters not in the long run. I just cut the excess off.
DSCN2190.JPG
DSCN2192.JPG
Another mistake with the crane placement and stern viewing platform.
The viewing platform should have the bulge facing toward the bow *Doh!* too late for that, but removed the crane and repositioned. I'll blame late night tiredness on that.

Finished...
DSCN2200.JPG
DSCN2201.JPG
DSCN2202.JPG
DSCN2205.JPG
DSCN2206.JPG
DSCN2204.JPG

I think with some cleaning up of the parts, and a bit more effort creating sea texture around the ship e.t.c. this could be even better.

Oh, and if your wondering why no flags (Blue ensign, Royal Mail pennant, White Star line Pennant) I left them off as I read that flags were taken down at sunset and the Titanic sank after mid-night.

If your interested in these Olympic class liners I also spotted the Titanic's sister Britannic in hosptial ship livery on the same website:
EDITED BY ADMIN...
DO NOT POST LINKS TO PAY FOR MODELS THAT HAVE BEEN RIPPED OFF!!!
YOU CAN BUILD THEM...JUST DONT POST THE LINK!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Papa Mashy

Masher of paper
Oops! Sorry for posting the link. Didn't realise they were ripped off. Thought they were just old models that were now free in public domain.
Feel bad now.
Admins please delete thread.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Nah, leave it up, worth seeing the effort, and mistakes are just that. We are not the Internet police. Nice job. :)