GPM-048 B-24J Liberator (Finished)

mmshotin

Apr 27, 2005
Russia, Moscow
www.facebook.com
Hello!
I've just completed the 1.5 year work over B-24J from GPM-048 kit.
Here some result photos. The model is pretty big and I didn't find proper background for the photo session, sorry.

AP1GczNkhibkhkLx_bzYLWvNQb9lVJEF5wLcXDpitZCU3WaC6jZqjLLfRiIwGw1sTFveBDN6ztDy2OHKCvRjniIH4gctbUBKiCh5Xj5fEsq69Q4RTsZQmyb7w3xwOkvjWnLh4YDpKPVlA3eIFgCARGL9BE6Z=w1024-h683-s-no-gm

The full photoblog - https://goo.gl/photos/cErDMcrcqAnRZ9pw7
Other final photos - https://goo.gl/photos/7NEXifH8Dk88E8Ku5

Any questions - welcome.

Short resume: This kit is pretty old and full of little and not little mistakes. Also, it has poor detailing (comparing with modern kits) and fantasy colouring.
But because of the gloss metallic paper the finished kit looking very attractive.

WBR, Mike

Last edited:

Padre

Oct 3, 2009
Arizona
www.usswhiteriver.com
I have always been going to try the Red River Silver paper but have wondered how you print on it when the scan already has the silver or something like silver on it already, Do you something like Photoshop to remove the color and if so do you lose the other detail?

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
GPM B-24J Liberator Build

Absolutely stunning, Mike,

The finish on this model is something else - beautiful indeed. You can be very proud of this achievement.

But this cannot be Red River Metallic paper, surely, because that paper is glossy/shiny. Would you like to disclose what material you have employed?

Thanks for sharing,
Bengt :thumb:

chooch.42

Jan 23, 2007
Gibsonia, Pa.
Mike; You seem to have made up for any deficiencies in the kit with your skill and craftsmanship. It's a beautiful model of which you must be proud. Thanks for letting us all see the results of your labor and patience ! Bob C.

mmshotin

Apr 27, 2005
Russia, Moscow
www.facebook.com
Thank to all for a good words!
Saying honestly, I don't do my best with this kit. The kit is poor and I'm tired to assembling it. As result - a lot of unaccuracy and my own mistakes. Most visible - too thick Browning's barrels.
2Padre and Bengt F - maybe there some misunderstanding. I made this model directly from original kit and metallic gloss provided by typographical enamel-paper. But there was one little trick - before cutting I used to cover all sheets with sprey acrylic varnish.
Also I may say, that there is a lot of silver (metallic) paper in kids stores, that may be used for our purposes (I use some such sheets to cover some loose places - e.g. near cockpit). And, of course, Photoshop required to clear the color from scans.
To paint edges I used silver marker.
All turrets was vacuum formed by me. I practically did no additional detailing except ones who connected with retracted gears and awfully designed nose part.

peter taft

Jan 15, 2010
Well considering all the problems you found with the kit and all of them overcome by your good self - this my friend is
ABSO-BLOODY-LUTELY FANTASTIC
. :goldcup:

papastumpy

Dec 20, 2008
Lowell, North Carolina
Great build of a classic bomber. I have the B-17. In answer to you not liking the Browning barrels, try this guy out and see if you like them, JBmodels.eu.com:eek:. I use his barrels in my aircraft builds and they are perfect f/1:33, but the barrels are 1:32 scale, I want tell if you want! I also will replace the or should I say lack of engines w/Orlick B-25 engines, they are absolutely the best I have seen, but it will require four of them:p, that will take awhile to do. Really nice build and I look forward to more from you.:wave: