Gokstad viking ship / WAK + scratch / upscaled to 1:48

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Thank you Gandolf50. It is one of the plans I am using. It is from Nicolaysen, archeologist who dug up the ship. I have all his plans and drawings of the ship. This plan is arecheological piece - it is from year 1882. I would like to know how these plans were made, how the ship was measured, because more recent plans are quite different from this.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
The Viking ships slithered over the waves, they were built in such a manner, they flowed like snakes through the seas, making them almost indestructible. I saw a film where four men grabbed the nose of a Viking recreation, and where able to bend it upwards one foot without too much effort. Great elastomeric properties through wise ship building. ;)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
WOW!
I the painted area does look like wood to me. I would keep going!

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Thank you boys. I would like to represent some wear and tear but shouldn´t it be more uniform and not so rought, for the paint of the ship?

JP64

Nice building, mate !!

i'm following this thread with attention.. and I like the actual results !
ciao
Jp

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Thank you.

So painting technique seems to be fine, but I am still thinking about the colour of the paint.
I am using Roskilde museum replicas as color reference. All their ships have this dark colour, but I recently find out that they use modern chemical - Hempel's Classic, which has copper as the active preservative substance. So I do not know how much authenic is this colour.
gIMG_2812-small.jpg.8eb31082ec615f930a828d0fe5bee132.jpg

Another replica, Islendingur, is painted dark only under the water level. It is mentioned in Erik the Red saga that they used seal tar for bottom of the ship, but it is not known what seal tar consisted of. So maybe this is more like it?
37339848524_58f123a615_o.jpg.1f46bffc94b2c74dfa7327f5b4ccc2f0.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I like the lines on the "Islendingur " best. :)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Little progress with modeling. Some historian said to me it is possible that rowers sat on deck beams, not on the chests, so I did some tests to see in what position rows would be to the rowers. It looks like realistic option. All functional replicas I know of use chests for rowers to sit on, so it is probably more ergonomic.

628082068_rowingcomp.jpg.14b67147dc1a3d6105e1940a9d623051.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
They replaced their stone ballast with the Gold booty they plundered. I think that would have been very securely mounted for it's wealth, and it's functional necessity. Not enough known, they did traverse the perimeter of the Mediterranean in this fantastic ships though, they were very adjustable ships, on the interior, no two may have been the same when it came to loading. :)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Hi friends finaly cutting some paper. This time I do not use waterbased glue for the frame and laminating. I will use it later on planking.

Because the keel and stems have variable thicknes I did inner structure by layering the paper.
IMG_5171s.jpg

then I covered it by skin layer:

IMG_5177s.jpg

I scribed the edge carvings by scribing tool I made from needles:

IMG_5206s.jpg

Now I am cutting the ribs. After this I will finaly assemble the frame:

IMG_5207s.jpg

And one realy great achievemnt you can see in the photos - I cleaned up my workspace. If not you, my wife will surely appreciate that :)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Journey continues.

ribs attached to the keel:
IMG_5208s.jpg

All fixed and sqared with false deck:
IMG_5223s.jpg

Visible ribs assembled and carvings made. Then testpainted to see if carvings will be visible.
IMG_5856s.jpg
IMG_5857s.JPG

Jig designed and assembled and ship attached to it. Now I am read for planking:
IMG_5835s.jpg
IMG_5867s.jpg

Plank templates ready to be printed:
planking.jpg

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Planking journey has started, first plank in place, fits perfectly:
IMG_5909s.jpg

Here are planks in two stages of making proces. Laminated templates and cut out planks. Planks are laminated to desired thickness in a way that ends are roughly two times thinner than the middle part, same as the original planks. Also not every plank has the same thickness. In this scale differences are few tenths od millimeter, so I hope it will be at least felt if not noticeable on the model.:)
IMG_5910s.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Wow!! You've made great progress. What a great model you will have!! :)