Ginko Bay RR Piledriver

Locobreath

Here are a couple of shots of my piledriver. It is scratchbuilt except for the disconnect trucks (Kaydee). I don't know if the railroads mounted them on trucks but I've seen other modelers do it. It makes for a more dramatic picture.

aba.jpg

Glen Haasdyk

Looks really good. Did you scratch the steam engien as well? Actually it looks almost identical to the one I'm scratching right now, using plans in the Sept 76' issue of Model railroad craftsman.

Locobreath

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Matthyro: It's HO.

Glen: It may have been from plans in the MRC you mentioned. I don't really remember - I built it over twenty years ago. The boiler is made of a wood dowel and a plastic straw. Several odds and ends from my parts bin and two or three small brass details were also used.

Nscalemodeler

That is indeed a wonderful work of art. I hope that someday I can find the time and patience to build items of that quality!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

G Pfeifer

Pile Driver

Locobreath;
Very nice work, I built one in "N" scale several months back. Had a Line drawing from the White Pass & Yukon RR shops to work from. They had built it in 1901 using an old flatcar as the base. Their drawing has the flat car, with no front coupler, then a swiveling base for the pike driver so that it can swing approx 30 degrees left and right.
The way that yours is set up, the front coupler is in the way of the pile driver(?) and it can drive piles only straight forward of the car(?).

George

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
"The way that yours is set up, the front coupler is in the way of the pile driver(?) and it can drive piles only straight forward of the car(?)."

That's the beauty of using the disconnect trucks, once on site the truck under the business end can be moved back out of the way, depending on the reach needed.
Pete

Locobreath

Thanks everyone for your comments.

nscale modeler: It was a fun model to build. It looks much more difficult than it really is.

GPeifer: Sumpter250 is right.The disconnect trucks, I believe, were used to transport the derrick. They could be removed or moved (under the chasis) any time it was in use.

Locobreath

Glen: The hammer was carved from a piece of basswood then painted silver. I used some pastel chalks for rust and dirt but the lighting for the pic was very bright so it washed out the weathering.

G.Pfeifer: I never saw one that was made out of a flat car. It's real nice. Like it.