Geirgetown Sub part 2

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Georgetown Sub part 2

Today I made the L shaped frame work using the old L shaped beams. Added legs then a 1/2 inch plywood surface and covered it with 1/2 inch white foam. Added skyboard which is 1/2 inch chip board. The overall size is 4ft on one leg and 7ft on the other. This is in answer to the challenge that Val(spitfire) and Johnathan (Catt!) gave me to come up with an HO diorama. The track plan that starts this project can be found in the track planning forum. The trackplan will no doubt see some changes when I fit the actual track. I will start that tomorrow after visting my LHS.

Attachments

• st.jpg
    st.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 246

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
I have been laying some of the track. The dual track main line is done with crossover for switching. That old loco you can see is a Hornby Du-L0 The Dutchess of Atholl. I have had that loco since I was a kid.
Tracklaying in HO is a breeze compared to N.
So far I have sunk $350 into this project.

Attachments

• ttl1.jpg
    ttl1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 229

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Just received my two CN switchers today. An 0-6-0 and an 0-8-0
I am more than impressed with the workmanship on thes Proto 2000 locos

Attachments

• sw1.jpg
    sw1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 183

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Too cool Robin! :cool: As usual you are making very fast work of this. I agree with you about the P2K engines - they're really nicely done, and good runners as well.

Just wait til you see all the detailing parts available in HO!!

Val

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Wow Robin - you work fast!

As per Val's message, you will not be disappointed with the P2K's, although the 0-8-0 does not have tender pick-ups and is a little more reluctant over insulated frogs. There is a kit to add pick-ups if you so choose.

Andrew

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Thanks for the heads up on the pickups Andrew. Who supplies the pick-up kit?
The track laying is done. There are 16 sections of flex track and 20 Peco switches. Two of the switches are large diameter and 18 are medium diameter.
There is far more track than I would normally have in the space but as this is to be a switching puzzle I figure it is appropriate. There are 6 industries and 6 box cars. A roll of the dice will determine which industry has ordered a pck-up and another roll of the dice will determine which box car will be sent. I am hoping this will provide some fun for me and for visitors eho come by.
The first photo is looking west. There is a three track yard on the left and you can see the industry trackage at the top.

Attachments

• tp4.jpg
    tp4.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 141

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
The next photo is looking East. I will paint the ties and track next then it will be ready for ballast. It will take me a while to build the various industries.

Attachments

• tp5.jpg
    tp5.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 145

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Matthyro said:
Thanks for the heads up on the pickups Andrew. Who supplies the pick-up kit?

Hi Robin,

There are a few options:

1) I believe the kit is from Life-Like itself - Hobbycraft here in Canada.

2) If you can't locate one, here is a great thread by Jon Grant (from this here forum, in fact!) about how to do it yourself...

http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=13691

3) The tender from the 0-6-0 has the pick-ups, so you could just find a 0-6-0 tender and swap it for the 0-8-0 one.

Andrew

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Thanks Eddie, it has been a challenging effort for me to make it suite what I want it for. I have decoders installed on the locos now and replaced the lights with yeloglo white L.E.Ds. Are the ever bright.

Attachments

• hl.jpg
    hl.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 73

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Robin...

I love the look of those LEDs - could you provide more info please? I am currently running my 0-6-0 with the original bulbs, resistors, and less than satisfactory appearance...!

Thanks.

Andrew