Gauge layout Party No 5!!!!!

trains1972

Sep 1, 2004
philadelphia, pa
pg.photos.yahoo.com
Here goes the first pictures of trees that were planted on my layout. I will have more next weekend hopefully plus the snow added to the top bunch of trees.
im00325205jv.jpg

im0032579hc.jpg

The ground is ceiling to form the rock of the mountain it is painted and has dried grass on top of the paint and then snow on top of that. The picture color makes most of the rocks look white they are not that white I had to lighten the pictures to be able to see everthing. The front section is the same color as the rock in the back.

C

Catt

Status report.

The Grande Valley once again has a functioning layout.It is only 24 1/4" by 71 1/2" but it is fully functional if not very interesting at this time. :D

I figure a week of puttering around with this one will get a few fires started to either get going on the big layout or tear it down and do a much smaller one.

It feels good to be able to run a train again even if it is only chasing it's tail.

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
All strips cut for Helix...

Got all the strips of ply cut for my helix.

I did come across something "funny" about plywood.....something I will look for in the future. At a lumber yard I purchased 1/2" ACX plywood. I later needed another two sheets and went to a "Yard Birds" and purchased 1/2" ACX plywood. From the lumberyard it was 4 ply. From the Yard Birds it was 5 ply! I like the 5 Ply better and it was a couple of bux less... Odd...:confused:

Anyhow, here is a look at the stack of strips 4" wide ready to be cut int 16" long trapazoids with 22.5 degree angles on each end.

p1170003.med.JPG

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
I'll try and post some pics tonight, but I managed to start the following :

1. Painted another layer of plaster over the WS plastercloth
2. Carved rock-faces on the ledge the track runs on
3. Painted the tunnel mouth for the main line and the surrounding rock
4. Painted the track for these areas
5. Painted the base colour for the whole of the mountain area.

whew, I love having a snow day! got a load done

Graham

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
Geez.... I am not sure about the trig....

It is an 18.5" raidus with a 1 foot strait on each side.

That make is (2*3.14*18.5)+24"=140" per loop. Rise on each loop is about 3"(or a little less..) so 2.14% grade.
as a guess, I think about 7 loops. 980" of track or ~82 feet or 32 pieces of flex track.

Long time since I did this sort of math, so I hope it is right.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
seanm said:
Geez.... I am not sure about the trig....

It is an 18.5" raidus with a 1 foot strait on each side.

That make is (2*3.14*18.5)+24"=140" per loop. Rise on each loop is about 3"(or a little less..) so 2.14% grade.
as a guess, I think about 7 loops. 980" of track or ~82 feet or 32 pieces of flex track.

Long time since I did this sort of math, so I hope it is right.

How are you coming back down??

I think you need to double track this :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
seanm said:
One train at a time on the helix... single track. At the top and bottom they connect to the rest of the track in a Y, so from the upper level you can either go all the way around or go down... from the bottom, you can do the same.

Have a look through here for a track plan... it should make it clearer.

http://www.pegnsean.net/pics/trains/new_tba/tn/TBAII_Lower.jpg.html
To see the upper plan....
http://www.pegnsean.net/pics/trains/new_tba/tn/TBAII_upper.jpg.html

Just Kidding :D :D

That Track Plan is Great!!

Have Fun Building It!! :D :D

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Here the view from the side.

I am going to try a new method I found in Model Railroader for colroing the rocks. This one invovles cosmetic sponges. (Do you think the wife will notice?) :eek: :D

Attachments

• psdb2g.jpg
    psdb2g.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 151

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
Cut all the long pieces into short pieces yesterday. Used a nice miter saw I borrowed from my uncle. Made short work of the cutting and was very accurate.

p1180003.med.JPG

Now all I need is a buisquit jointer and some glue (and rods and ...and...and...

This is the layout of the loops of the helix. Need about 8 of these. One as a base and then 7 actually for track.

p1180002.med.JPG

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Great progress Sean! :thumb: :D

Worked some more on the Passenger Station Diorama. I painted the stone abutment with Folk Art Linen. This is the first step in recoloring the stones. First I have to paint the stones the mortar color.

Attachments

• psdc1g.jpg
    psdc1g.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 128