Gary Pfeil's scratchbuild

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
Gary Pfeil said:
Yeah, I know you're right guys. Hopefully the other half will be better, and still look ok with the first half. Have to make a bunch of smaller trees too.

Gary the tree looks good I know how much time a large tree can take.:) for the trunk i found that acrylic modeling past to make a good looking trunk and stay flexable thats what i used on the trunk of the tree in my pic.

Attachments

• tree2.jpg
    tree2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 115

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
That looks nice Jim, acrylic modeling paste, huh? I do like the Milliput I used as well. I didn't do such a great job of shaping, I just ran an Exacto blade up and down, and the paint job could be better, but I figure I'll improve. Here's a close up.

Attachments

• P1010774a.jpg
    P1010774a.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 127

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
looks good Gray does the millput stay flexable ?
the acrylic modeling past (they call it medium) is just acrylic medium with granit ot marble dust mixed in to it , the best thing is that it remains flexable the trunk i showed has been bent to a 45 deg anlge without any damage.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Thanks. No, the Milliput does not stay flexible. But it does get very hard, like rock. So I'm not worried about it breaking when "planting". The problem I had with Durhams rock hard water putty was it was brittle, and would break when grasped firmly and pushed into the scenery. The flexible methods I tried, mostly tube type products for gaskets, stayed somewhat flexible, but would be deformed by my finger pressure while planting, and were dificult to carve with trunk detail. And as I recall (many many years ago) they didn't take paint well.