GAAA! I killed it!! (Lighting issue.)

DeckRoid

Apr 28, 2007
Caldwell, ID
Ok, so. I go to the hardware store and pick up 2 florescent lamps to hang in the garage over my layout. Put the bulbs in, which didn't come with the lamps :x and turn em on.

What happened? Oh, they lit up my layout alright. Lit it up like some freak show. Everything had a blue-ish tint and casted shadows every which way.

What kind of lighting should I use? I dont want to get all theatrical, just want it to be lit. Did I get the wrong kind of lights? I have not done florescent lights before. We tore out the ones in the kitchen when we bought this place.

George

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
You might want to try a "daylight" lamp. Some companies call them by different names. They have a much warmer color. They cost a couple dollars more apiece, but the color rendering is much better.
I have two florescent fixtures in my garage. I recently replaced one set of bulbs. The difference is dramatic.

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
I completely agree with myltlpny. Daylight bulbs are great. They just changed all of our in our office. While they were changing, the old ones where still up in many places and the difference in light was dramatic! The other light was dull and drab while the daylight bulbs were very vibrant. They are also called full spectrum.

FiatFan

Jul 16, 2004
I use cfl daylights from Feit Electric in my train room. A very nice, even light.

Tom