Fullard Glass Co.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
This glass factory is named after Val(Spitfire)Fullard NARA member #67. You know that I have named a lot of my buildings after NARA members.
In this case, Val posted some great photos of an existing glass factory in Brampton Ontario.
This first photo taken by Val, shows the real thing.
Next I go through a process of guess work to decide on the size and dimensions. Not easy to be accurate when working from photos and of course, available space on my layout

Attachments

• gl2.jpg
    gl2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 629

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Here is the foundation of the factory. I have made it about 9inches square. This is N gauge. More photos will be posted as this project goes along.

Attachments

• gl14.jpg
    gl14.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 558

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
I almost can't believe it, Robin! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Your creative urge must be gigantic! Hardly have you finished the Canadian Malt Plant, there you go again.

I saw Val's pictures, and then I thought for me "Now there's a really complex structure. The strange coolers (or whatever they are) on the roof must be very difficult to model. Wonder how Robin would tackle that chore..."

Now that you are at it, I'm sure that another masterpiece is in the working. Thank you once again for sharing it with us. :) :) :)

Ron

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Wow Robin - thanks a lot - I am honoured to have what I am sure is going to be an awesome structure named after little old me!!!!!!

I can hardly wait to see how this one progresses! Keep up the fantastic work!

cheers
Val
President and CEO
Fullard Glass Co. Ltd.

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
A little progress. The roof is on and some additions to the tower. Can't get the trim as small as the real thing shows and hope it will look better with a coat of paint, and yes, that's the Toronto Blue Jays losing another to the Oakland As in the background.

Attachments

• gl16.jpg
    gl16.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 538

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by Matthyro
A little progress.... Can't get the trim as small as the real thing shows and hope it will look better with a coat of paint,

Robin,

that is one of the minor details that we have to compromise on when we model in "N". But you seem to make the details look as though they were correct anyway:) :) So we are not going to quibble:) :) :) The Glass factory looks great and the tribute to Val is most appropriate.:) :)

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by spitfire
wow! wow! wow! this is such fun Robin, watching the various parts come together. I can hardly wait for the next installment.

cheers
Val

It seems that each of Robin's works are awe-inspiring tutorials. Wouldn't it be neat if we had a collection of them - similar to the archives, that could be a reference point for some of us "independant idea" challenged folks?:) :) :)

I bookmark them for use later but my "Favorites" file is getting overloaded:D :D :)

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Thanks very much for your kind words and support guys. I just hope that by showing the methods I use in one step at a time will influence more folks to get into scratchbuilding.
If you look at Jon's tutorial in the archives he gives directions on starting with a photo and getting plans done so it's easy to make a model in the gauge of your choice to include on your layout.
Ok now on with the model. I made 1/16 inch apart grooves with a knife on some of the bristol board I have over from making the Orient Trader. This made it easy to curve and glue to the forms on the roof.

Attachments

• gl4.jpg
    gl4.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 344