Fruit Stand... almost...

DeckRoid

Apr 28, 2007
Caldwell, ID
It's almost complete. I started this way back in the spring. I even took it and my tackle box of tools/balsa wood on a cruise in May.

The plans came from Railroad Model Craftsman.

Here you see the building painted white then weathered with an India Ink/alcohol wash. I am needing some guidence/assistance with the transfers from my printer. They are not coming out like I had hoped. The look too new. I have to figure out how to make them look faded and what not. I am trying on test pieces of balsa that I painted white.

Anywhoo... here are the pics. Sorry for the pic quality.

fruit stand 1.jpg

fruit stand 2.JPG

fruit stand 3.jpg

fruit stand 4.JPG

George

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I like it! Good rustic look. It'll be great with some signs on it. I've heard of people lighting sanding the signs to make them thinner and a little worn. Perhaps some dusting with pastel chalks will dull them down as well.

Nifty little structure!
Ralph

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
George....I like it!!!:thumb::thumb: Looks like a perfect little stand:thumb:

When you say "transfers" from your printer, do you mean signs that you printed on regular paper or some type of decal?

If paper, than I would follow Ralph's advice......you might try LIGHTLY sanding the front of the sign as well with very fine sandpaper (just enough to take a little of the ink away).

If decals...they would be applied before the weathering process.

I am assuming however, that you are talking about paper signs:winker:.

Again.....NICE WORK
KEEP IT UP!

GO NP!:thumb::winker:

DeckRoid

Apr 28, 2007
Caldwell, ID
Hey guys

Thanks for your comments. I added some balsa wood dust to the paint for the grainy look of the paint. It came out really rustic/old looking. When I sanded it down, it was too smooth and looked spanking new, so I had to do something.

With regards as to signs... I have tried both decal paper and white paper. I read about sanding the paper signs, but haven't tried that yet. As for the decal paper, I tried giving the sign a patina in photoshop before printing, but the printer still had it come out looking like a new sign. Another example of looks great on the computer screen, but printed out it looks very much different.

I will try the sanding tonight and see what happens. I think it was in the last NRMA magazine, there was an article on scraping the back of the decals with a flat razor balde... #9? ... before applying. They made it look really nice.

Anyways. Thanks for the encouragement.

George

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
.....and I like it too :thumb:. George, you did a great job. The fruit stand has the right rustic, "worn" look. I am looking forward to seeing it finished with the signs and some juicy fruits. :wave:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If decals come out looking too new, you can always weather the entire building with a thin wash of white acrylic paint thinned about 10 to 1 then dull coat it. The white won't be apparent on the signs but will tone the "newness" down quite a bit.

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Looks great! I particularly like to slight 'lean' to one side, just like most of those structures did after awhile. :thumb:

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Looks good to me.
Dab a little "White Out" ( typing correction stuff) on it here & there & you will have perfect "peeling paint" .

What kind of fruit do you plan to have on display ?
There is a seed for seasoning ( can't remember the name but if you want I'll try to look for it) that makes absoultely perfect Bannanas in HO scale, just paint em yellow. We did a whole boat load of them on the Tooles Springs & Western Ramona Bay wharf scene. One guy was going to try to mold them with sculpy till I found a bottle of them in the grocery store--- much easier!

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Looks good to me.
Dab a little "White Out" ( typing correction stuff) on it here & there & you will have perfect "peeling paint" .

What kind of fruit do you plan to have on display ?
There is a seed for seasoning ( can't remember the name but if you want I'll try to look for it) that makes absoultely perfect Bannanas in HO scale, just paint em yellow. We did a whole boat load of them on the Tooles Springs & Western Ramona Bay wharf scene. One guy was going to try to mold them with sculpy till I found a bottle of them in the grocery store--- much easier!

Carroway?

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Could be carroway Mountain Man -- sounds familiar, but I'm not sure now--- it was several years ago that we did it. I may even have the rest of the seeds somewhere. I'll check the spice isle at the store later today & get back to everybody. I know they weren't horribly expensive -- then -- who knows now. Darn sure would not want to buy them in Zimbaboway -- last night BBC news said they have 11 MILLION PERCENT inflation!!! :eek::cry: I can't even comprehend that !!

DeckRoid

Apr 28, 2007
Caldwell, ID
Thanks again for the good reviews...

I have made some fruit from milliput, and I have thought of painting seeds, not carroway though... that's a thought, and I have made some wee boxes from scale 2x4s. I don't have enough folks to people it, but that is coming.

I have been debating lighting it from inside. since it's not solid, I am worried about light seeping thru the cracks. I have thought of building a light box, if you will, to stick inside, behind a counter or something, made of thin styrene.

As to the shape of the building sagging... well, that was a lucky break on my part, literally... When I built one side, I had messured 29 scale feet. When I built the other side, for some odd reason, it was 29 1/2 feet. When I put it together, it didnt quite look right. I showed it to a pal in the club and he "smooshed" it together for me, thus creating a sagging tilt to the whole thing. He laughed and said that was his tried and true method for over 30 years of scratch building. "Makes it haggard looking..."

George

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
When I was looking for the carroway seeds I saw some round seeds , durned if I remember what they were, but a bit of orange & they would be great oranges, red would make them big tomatos. Bet you could find several more "fruits" in your local spice island.