Freight Car Classifications?

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
I'm looking for an official listing of abbreviations for rolling stock. For example:

BOX = Boxcar
CAB = Caboose
GON = Gondola

Anyone know where I can find such a list? I've searched the NMRA site, and can't find anything.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
If you can be more specific, I can provide a list. Here's a list for boxcars, the different designations denote different lengths and/or different equipment.
XM
XMI
XMIH
BX
VA
VM
XC
XCI
XU
XP
XR
XL
XLI
There are also code numbers to go with these letter designations: for instance, there are 12 different versions of the XM. All of this info is from a copy of the June, 1968 ORER (Official Railway Equipment Register). Some of the types listed may no longer be in service, while new classes may have been added.
I don't mean to muddle the issue, and I'll be glad to type out a more precise list when I have a little more time. However, it would help if you could list the car types that you have, or hope to have, as there are several 'phone book size pages of info, all with very small type.

Wayne

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
From what I get, and can remember, from another site, here are a couple.
Like Dr.Wayne said, each one has a subclass, which benotes the second of third letter.
XM=boxcar
LO=Covered Hopper
GB=Gondola
FT=Flatcar
RBL= Insulated Boxcar
Those are just a few.

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Okay, maybe the AAR/ORER abbreviations are too "official" for what I have in mind. I don't really need a boxcar broken down into 23 different categories or anything that fancy. I was hoping for something simple, along the lines of what I originally posted.

Thanks for the effort guys, much appreciated!
:thumb: