Freiburg Tram

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
How are these thingies called anyway?

Terry,

in Germany (where this 'beast' comes from), they call them 'Strassenbahn'. That means in English simply 'Street-Railway'.

However, in the German speaking part of Switzerland (that's where I come from :D) they are normally called 'Tram'.

Well, and how would YOU call them in America (or England, or Australia, or...)?
Traction Car? Streetcar? Tramway? UPTRGV (Urban People Transporting Rail Guided Vehicle ;)) or another crazy acronym? :confused:

Hey, come to think of it - this is really something I don't know! :eek: :( :rolleyes:
So come on and tell us all, how YOU are calling WHERE these electric traction peoplemovers?

Ron

swissjohn

Jan 3, 2003
Cheshire, England
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
Ron, Terry.
Here in the U.K. we also call them Trams. Many U.K. cities had tram systems in the first part of the 20th Century and abandoned them in favour of motor busses. They are now starting to see the error of their ways and are building new tramways. (History repeats itself :rolleyes: ) When running away from the city centres they often use the converted trackbeds of normal railroads.
John.

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Terry, John is right, here in UK they were called Trams or tramcars.
Heres a pic of one of Glasgow's (Scotland) trams I used to ride to school on. They were all "double-deckers". As a kid there was nothing better than to ride on the upstairs floor :)

Ahhh, the memories this pic brings back. The clatter and noise of their bell, and whining hum of their motors.

Errol.

Attachments

• glasgow tram.jpg
    glasgow tram.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 102

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
In Toronto, we call them streetcars. I grew up in Johannesburg South Africa and we had the double deck units and there we called them trams. Brit influence I guess.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Street Car

The North American term is street car, although urban planners and civil servants want to call them LRVs (Light Rail Verhicles) or for that one, Articulated LRV.
If it had a proper trolley pole it would be a trolley car.
In Britain, there is a legal definition of Tramway, which also includes steam and diesel power (see Toby The Tram by Rev. Awdry).

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
I prefer Tram, too. It's clear, it's short, and it's... well... a Tram! (What else?):D :D :D

LRV for me looks just plain silly. I would never know if somebody was talking about a Tram (Lousy Rail Vehicle? :rolleyes: ) or about the buggies they used on the moon -> LRV = Lunar Roving Vehicle. (Oh well, at least for us oldies who used to watch the moon excursions with glowing ears...)

Ron