Flying Cardboard F-117 (with plans!)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

This is a great project - and it flies! :)

The builders have added links to the components and the cutting pattern in the description of the video. :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
The real one was so unstable, the computers flew it. The paper models fly because you can put the center of gravity where it needs to be and shape the wings appropriately. They were effective though, that plane flew for 10 years before the public even knew about it. That plane has bombed so many sites that countries never figured how or who bombed them, and they never will, but now they can have a good idea. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
If he would have put actual leading edges on the wings, the plane would have flown even better than it did, and wouldl have used a lot less energy. Technically, that plane was being thrust through the air, without airfoils, it's not flying, though the shape on top would generate lift. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I know my post sounds nit pickiy, it's just when I see something done so well, and it just needs so little to get maybe 40% more improvement, it bothers me. for example, just running a thick bead of glue down the leading edges, and building them up to form a radius would do wonders, the same being done to the rudders. I do think this is a great video and the plans are easy enough for anyone to make. Electronic controls kits for making foam planes work on paper ones too. I actually think these planes can be much improved by using multi media, such as foam for the wings, and cardboard for the fuselage. The foam wings would weight nothing but would give much left, and the edges are easy to form. Just a thought Take a look at this link and imagine the types of craft you could make. ;)

Link = https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rc+plane...e+motor+kit,aps,74&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_18