Filmation TNG

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Excellent! Needed streaks for stars while at warp tho, but I think the rest it outweighs a little oversite like that. Thanks for sharing!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
O.K., I go against the grain here. That, IMHO, absolutely sucked. It was almost as stiff as the original TNG. Was that the "Barbie Borg" chasing them. I was expecting Hank Hill or Beavis and Butthead to appear, but of course it couldn't as their bodies actually moved in the animation. I literally felt like I lost time I will never get back. Personally, I wouldn't share crap like that, it spreads just how low the bar can go. :sadno:

ARMORMAN

FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE
It is a perfect rendition (down to "dirt" on the "cels") of the look, feel, and style of the Filmation Series.

When I was teaching art, I used the original Animated series as a rare example of how good writing could overcome bad animation. As I spent some time analyzing the art (and about two hours on the phone discussing the show with the late Lou Scheimer back in the late 80's) for my classes, I think it is a great piece, not because the animation was groundbreaking, but because the recreation of the look, feel, and sound was spot on.

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
I can appreciate it for the same reasons.

If you grew up on the TAS, then it was as much a nostalgia piece, as much as a "what if?" I don't think I would appreciate it without that background. It wasn't good, but it is an interesting contrast; take the TOS with TAS animation, and you get a good story, much of the time, even if cut down to half and with limited artist.

Take a NG story to TAS graphics and you don't get anything beyond comparison.

The pink Borg was a great image to TAS, where the Kzin and other things that were supposed to be gray were pink; because the animator of TAS, Hal Sutherland, was color bind (or sp the story goes)!!!!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Exactly. The creator(s) nailed the vintage animation style perfectly and I rofled hard when I heard the explanation why the aliens got wrong colours for the first time. Poor Hal, no-one told him how to do it right. Maybe they thought it was a kid's show and everything had to be colourful, so they kept it. ;)