Ffestiniog Railway

Harpo

Jan 21, 2005
Raleigh NC
Greetings all:D
Haven't tried postings pics yet, so here goes….photos of the Ffestiniog RR, Wales, UK, I shot last summer. Thought many of you might be as fascinated as I was. The loco is a Fairley designed double bogie, narrow gauge, originally coal fired one...absolutely spectactular, and beautifully restored. In its heyday, the RR served slate industry, although it is now primarily a tourist attraction. It also serves as a transportation connection for folks living along the approx 13 mile run from Porthmadog to Ffestiniog. The right of way was quite an engineering feat, as much of it is built right into the side of sheer rock face. Look out one side of the coach, it seems to be rock wall; look out the other side and you have a near 90 degree drop off. Trust me, it's well worth an extra day's trip into Wales, which by the way, IMHO, has some of the most beautiful scenery in the UK…not to be missed.

Attachments

• Ffestiniog RR 001.jpg
    Ffestiniog RR 001.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 130
  • Ffestiniog RR 002.JPG
    Ffestiniog RR 002.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Ffestiniog RR 003.jpg
    Ffestiniog RR 003.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 125

Meiriongwril

Mar 1, 2006
Lafayette, Lousiana
Great for a Welsh exile like me to see these pics.
Folk might like to know as well, that the Ffestiniog RR is rebuilding its sister line (the Welsh Highland Light Railway), which will be over 20 miles long and reach from Caernarfon to Porthmadog (Ffestiniog RR goes from Porthmadog to Blaenau Ffestiniog). A good website to check out on this project is http://www.bangor.ac.uk/ml/whr/