And at this point I realized that somewhere on the way I made a huge mistake. The curvature of the tire sides should go inwards to the center and not outwards. The distance was way to big for the little stripe to close both sides. The sidewalls got all “bumpy” and uneven. I finished them anyway and here is the result.
I did not like them much but I put them temporarily on the scooter to have a picture of how it would look like
A bit dissapointed I continued with some greebles and finished the “electronics”
thank you zathros. The picture can not show them as they really are. Before connecting the two sides together the surface of the side was even and smooth. By pressing the sides inwards to reach the center so i could glue them to together they deformed. Anyway, i made a second set, that came out much better, which i used for the model.
Now to the difficult parts.
I was avoiding these two parts for as long as I could but I had to build them, there was no way around it.
UHU planed the outside in green and the inside as second part in brown. I tried it with UHU’s method but I could not get the results I wanted, so I printed them out again with the backside already in brown. This made the construction a lot easier.
On the left is my second attempt for this part. It looks good but the shape is not right. It’s too round. It should be more “elongated”. Squeezing it together deformed the part too much so I tried a third time
After my first unsuccessful attempt to build the tires I did not want to take any risk of ruin them again (it takes a lot of work and time to do them), so I decided to make them a bit different from UHU’s way.
I made the sides completely flat and gave them an extra layer of card to keep them that way.
thank you Mark Crowel, you are right, it was demanding.
It was my first "difficult" model from UHU with all this curved and round shapes. His Tinkerbell i made years ago was nothing compared to this one. Luckily i have patience but the skills have much room for improvement.
Thank you Rhaven Blaack, mijob and Toutenkarton. I'm happy you like it.
Ladies and Gentleman
here it is, the finished Faro Basso. Enjoy
It was a challenging build but I enjoyed it and learned a lot on the way.
Not everything I had in mind to do on this model worked out as I thought it would but that’s OK, there is always the next model…
Great work, your execution of the subtle curves looks as good as any I've seen. To get them any smoother would require a buck, and water forming... Add to that, you installed Working lights! Just fabulous.
@Rhaven Blaack thank you, i love all these "little extra components". Every model i am building i try to improve somehow. Sometimes more details by adding layers, sometimes other materials for more realism or in this case a combination of both. Whatever i think i can do to make it look better i try out. Sometimes it works others it does not. Does this make me an addict?
@mijob and @micahrogers thank you very much. Actually i tried that but this paper could not take it, so i formed it dry as much as i could (that's why it took me two and three tries for some parts).
The working lights i planed from the start. I even built a switch to turn them on and off (see post 17 the suspension with contact) but the switching is one thing that did not work out. My idea was that if the scooter is parked on the stand the motor would hang down due to it's weight and the contact would be open. Letting the scooter down would close the contact and therefore switch on the lights.
Unfortunately i realized too late that UHU designed the model to stand on the tires and the stand..... which made the switching impossible. Well i guess i have to pay more attention next time .