F.r.e.d

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Hello good people! :)

I have a question:

During my "railfanning" inspections of the local RR - (the former CSX) I am noticing fewer and fewer trains sporting FRED on the last car. I'm averaging 2 out of 5 HAVE one blinking....The other 3 don't... Was there a rule change when the NS took control??

I'm perplexed.. (which I am normally anyway!) :D

Thanks in advance... ~~ N Gauger

G

Gregg Mahlkov

Where did NS take over CSXT's track???

You've really got me curious, as I cannot imagine any circumstances where CSXT would voluntarily allow NS to take over any of its track. Where is this track located???

Not all E.O.T.'s flash at all times. Railroads have not used F.R.E.D.'s since cabooses were retired. A "Flashing Rear End Device" did just that, while an "End of Train" device radios brake pipe pressure and movement to the locomotive cab, which is what is used today. It's purpose is to advise the engineer as to the state of his train, not to warn following trains. Trains can be legally operated without such devices unless local or state ordinances require them. Years ago, I recall seeing trains with a red flag stuck in the rear coupler!

N Gauger

Ok, I'll try this again - Ooops!!! :eek:

On the NorthEast Corridor, of the B&O - recently the CSX, there have been NS engines running right along with the CSX. You also see the occasional Conrail "C" white on blue engines all running on the "old" B&O single rail run. Naturally we thought that NS had cut some kind of a deal. :)

Now for the second Ooops... :)

I thought E.O.T. & F.R.E.D. were mutually exclusive. Now after all these years you are saying there are 2 different gadgets?? I always thought (dangerous thing for me) that FRED radioed all info to the cab.

Anyway, up until a short time ago, CSX/Conrail?/NS? has been running F.R.E.Ds and now must be running mostly E.O.T.s. I have Never Seen any type of red flags... At least that I am sure of. rofl :D

Finally - I gather that the EOT's don't have to continually flash.. Where we cross the RR we can see the train for about 30 Seconds. Most times we look we will see 5 - 7 flashes as we go over the grade crossing. - That's what prompted the question, we havn't seen the "flashing" recently. Thanks a lot!! :)
~~ Mikey

BillD53A

Where's the Northeast Corridor of the B&O?
Last time I looked the NEC was ex-NH and PRR , and it extended from , New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore to Washington, DC. I once saw a half dozen E44s towing a single boxcar with a red flag in the coupler...
My local shortline still uses an device with the flashing light. Bill

N Gauger

What I was referencing was the Right of Way that roughly parrallels the PRR NE Corridor, from Wilmington, to Phila. they stay within 2 miles of eash other most of the way. It must be one of those "local terms" :)

Thanks!! :D ~~ Mikey

Hoghead

As for the EOT's......have you seen these not working at night?
NORAC rules require a freight train to have an illuminated marker
from 1 hour before sunset to 1 hour after sunrise. But most of these markers stop flashing during daylight hours. The exception being when passed by another train (they have motion detectors)
and when the train begins to move they flash for a short time in the day time hours.

If they are not flashing at night it would probably be because of a low battery charge.

N Gauger

Yes the CSX subdivision!! :D I didn't know it had a real name :)

And the EOT's were seen NOT working right at dusk, and then 2 weeks later at 10 :00 PM Thanks for all the info :) :) :)

~~ MIkey

Hoghead

EOT's have a photo eye........and the 1 hr before dusk/1 hr after dawn is just a rule.

Not working two weeks later?

Same EOT?

If so after two weeks sounds like a dead battery

N Gauger

I have no idea wether it was a different one, we get about 20 trains a day through there :) :)

Thanks!! ~~ N Gauger

Hoghead

You live in SE PA?

Funny........I run trains through there.........both North towards North Jersey and South (west as the RR calls it) towards Baltimore and Cumberland.

N Gauger

Hoghead - If you run along I-95, when you get to the section where You go under I-476 (At the Northern side of the 2 rail R.O.W.) - You can see across I95. When you see the Baldwin Building. I live to the right of it across the street.

Also the first grade crossing to the North (Fairview Rd - in Woodlyn, PA) that's the crossing I "didn't" see the EOT's lit.

Attachments

• dcp00716.jpg
    dcp00716.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 115

Hoghead

Just got back from Cumberland this morning.......the Philadelphia sub runs along I-95 around Chester.

I went to Cumberland Friday night and news travels fast.....A lot of buffs hanging out at Wilsmere when we went by with the CSX 575/576/566/564......all in the new paint job.....of course this was around....ohh I guess 0130 so it was a little strange to see the buffs out that late.

railohio

I'm headed for Cumberland next week. If you see a bunch of guys between Graham Tnl. and Stuart Tun. or a campfire along the river at Magnolia some night, that'll be my gang!

Hoghead

A lot of folks camp out around those tunnels. I usually don't get to Cumberland much......right now I am back on the board heading north out of Philadelphia towards North Jersey......but if I get bumped then it's back to the yard board which also covers runs to Baltimore and Cumberland.