express boxcars

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Not usually. They are (often) equipped with high speed trucks - like the ones on passenger cars - so are not really "interchangeable" with any regular box car for a passenger run. I would suggest that they are treated more like passenger equipment than freight.

Your best bet would be to ask doctorwayne, who is a bit of a head-end equipment expert...! ;) :D

Andrew

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Expert-schmexpert!! :roll: :-D
Even though many express boxcars were equipped with high-speed trucks, and signal and steam lines, there's no reason why they couldn't appear in a freight train. The CNR had a number of express boxcars that were equipped with regular freight trucks, too, although I'm uncertain if these had steam and signal lines. It's my understanding that many express cars were also equipped with the Westinghouse UC brake system, which, I think, is a quicker-acting system than the normal AB type.
Also, much "express" was lcl (less-than-carload) shipments, so it didn't necessarily have to move in an actual "express" car, and therefore, not necessarily even in a passenger train. This function would be similar to what UPS does nowadays. Don't forget, too, that express cars were interchanged just as were freight cars, which gives you a good excuse to run cars from roads that you don't actually model. There's a picture in one of Ian Wilson's books of a NYC smooth-sided baggage car in Park Head, Ontario, in service on a CNR branchline, so there's lots of room for "modeller's licence" on this.
Here are a few express cars that I run on my free-lanced Grand Valley lines.
100_5611.JPG

100_5622.JPG

100_5616.JPG

100_5619.JPG

100_5621.JPG

I also have lots of home road express cars, as I enjoy building these types of cars.

Wayne