ESKA Ekranoplan

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
zathros submitted a new resource:

ESKA Ekranoplan - Ground Effect, Vintage

The ESKA Ekranoplan was flow for 10 years on the Volga River. A wonderful ground effect aircraft,it was a realization of the Lippisch design. I did not design this one (I am working on a far more detailed one). It came from the Soviet Era, and it's designer is unknown. The model itself concludes with a very nice representation of this aircraft. There is on flaw easily fixable, Make sure when you build it, and it sits on a flat surface, the outer pontoons are level with the hull, such that all...

Read more about this resource...

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Thanks again. I had not know it had disappeared somehow. I am very happy when people bring this stuff to my attention as I have most of the forum archived at home. It's hard to keep up with the new stuff, but I have all of the old stuff. I have an affinity for that model. I actually made a small wind tunnel out of a powerful fan I had, and put weights in this model, paying attention to the airfoil ship, a slight down turn of 4 degrees at the floats. I had a grid out the from side of the fan to channel the air. and a string attached to the model. The little guy took off in ground effect around 2 inches off of the table. More air flow, I think it would have gone higher, though real aircraft do not scale up or down this way. That led me to make the Penny Ekranoplans, with will fly a hundred feet it tuned correctly, and launched from a yardstick. At the end of the run, they are going so slow, you wonder what is holding them up. I received an email from a friend that said everyone in his bank made them, they had a long Hallway, and started having races and placing bets. The only rule was the craft had to launch and stay just over the floor. That really amazed me that 30 people or so would have so much fun with something. Downloads don't represent what people share among themselves. That's why I tell people, if you don't have high downloads of your model, it may be being shared among friends. Thanks for commenting. :)

Penny Ekranoplans. Very simple models you can tune, strengthen as required (common sense here), and learn the basics of flying in ground effect. Modification of the wings on the trailing edge with sheets of clear plastic will give you longer runs, but will change the center of lift, which must always be behind the center of gravity. You glue a penny, leaving a spot in the front, too find and slide, to adjust the center of gravity, follow the airfoil shape!! ;)

Link = http://www.zealot.com/resources/flying-penny-ekranoplans.1029/

instructions.jpg