Escher optical ilusion by papercube

carlos filipe

carlos filipe
The same author of Croocked Tower is readying two very interesting new models.
Based on Escher optical ilusions he created two sets of stairs.
Check on:
PaperCube
http://www.mythoz.org/Joomla/index.php/En
Look in the menu, on the left for "in progress".
He was kind to send me the models, although without the instructions that he is still finishing.
I'm not doing a beta-test, the model is tuned, just missing the instructions.
So far I've been assembling the several set of stairs, but haven't joined them yet. I might even come up with a final form different form the authors vision.
What we share together is the need to place some figures to enhance the diffrent plans of the stairs.
I'm thinking of using three identical figures, each on a different plan or orientation. Kind of an endless enclosure that the character and his reflexes or not aware of. Something that makes me think about our times...
A friend of mine, Francisco bexiga
http.//fbminis.blogspot.com
offered help with the figurines. He is much more at ease with sculpting and casting copies in resin.
The images are not by a logical order. There are two very known drawings of escher, a photo of the assembled model by jul form papercube, as you can see a preview in his site and a sketch on how i'm thinking to stage the scene.

Attachments

• escherascend2.jpg
    escherascend2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 195
  • Escher-Relativity60112669900348211.jpg
    Escher-Relativity60112669900348211.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Euclidean Stairs_08.jpg
    Euclidean Stairs_08.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 17
  • figures-03-endless.jpg
    figures-03-endless.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 17

carlos filipe

carlos filipe
The figure will hold a lantern that will operate with a led encased in transparent resin or a similar solution.
The power lead will be done form the feet fo the figure to the led thru conductive paint that will be concealesd by the final paint job. The resistance and real wires leading to the power source will be inside the structure.
The sketch is very simplistic, but I wanted to give to francisco free hands for his creative process.
the figure will be in a dinamic position, left foot on the upper step, right foot hardly touching the previous step.
The cloack anfd hood are within Escher's style and quite conviniently conceal the forms.

Attachments

• figures-01b.jpg
    figures-01b.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 11

carlos filipe

carlos filipe
Some photos form the assembly...

Attachments

• 1st-stairs-01.jpg
    1st-stairs-01.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 1st-stairs-02.jpg
    1st-stairs-02.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 1st-stairs-03.jpg
    1st-stairs-03.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 2nd-stairs-01.jpg
    2nd-stairs-01.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 2nd-stairs-02.jpg
    2nd-stairs-02.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 14

carlos filipe

carlos filipe
coloring the edges...
I'm using olive green and light grey. I use the pastel chalks directly. The rub with the fingers to blend in. Finally I spray fixative in order to manipulate the parts without smearing the paint.
I'm having fun with this project as I still haven't a a clear vision on how to finish it and also because is a teamwork.
let's see what's going to come out of this.

Attachments

• edge-coloring-01.jpg
    edge-coloring-01.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 12
  • edge-coloring-02.jpg
    edge-coloring-02.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 11
  • edge-coloring-03.jpg
    edge-coloring-03.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 11
  • edge-coloring-06.jpg
    edge-coloring-06.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 11
  • varnish-05.jpg
    varnish-05.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 13
Z

Zathros

I look forward too see the final execution of this! I am sure it will be pleasant to the eye!

chooch.42

carlos filipe...Wonderful ! Have been an Escher fan since Middle School (a great Art teacher got me interested), but have never conceived of the 3-dimensional representation of any of his geometric fantasies. Congratulations for even imagining this construct. I'm eager to see someone achieve what I thought impossible. Thanks for allowing us a view. Bob C.

carlos filipe

carlos filipe
Hi Chooch.42:
I'm just a lowsy kit assmebler trying the model designed by jul (believe to be Jukes) from papercube. He is the one to be prized for the excelent desgin.
It can be my poor assembly, but I'm detecting some subtle distortions in the model. Jul-Papercube already used subtle distortions on his croocked tower that made the model so alive and aesthetically pleasing. Now I sense them here. My knowledge of 3D design is zero, but it looks to me it isn't easy to bend forms the way he's doing.
Yet it is a very easy model to assemble. What I show of the building photos is the result of two afternoons.
Hi Francisco: welcome to this forum. Hope to see here your japanese castles soon.
Rgds
Carlos

paper hollywood

Adapting two Eschers into one would seem to be a real brain bender. It occurred to me that I'd seen a cut and bend model of the first Escher you picture before. It's downloadable as an image from Flickr. There's also a cool YouTube video where it's being turned at different angles. The one good thing about that Escher, though is that it doesn't really defy spacial feasibility, just gravitational. The other Escher is a physical impossibility, so I'll wish you luck working in that concept.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crackpotcreative/2714678437/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqxU5Vc7WPc

jase9112

I may have finally found a christmas gift for my girlfriend! (she's huge into Escher).

Kinda late to find a present, however, tomorrow being christmas eve n all. :eek:ops:

inky

This is going to be nice. I love Escher and have drawn allot of his drawings. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Z

Zathros

This website has so much to offer, and for the WARHAMMER40K, tons of stuff that can be used. Some of the wall pieces would be worth in any house of structure and would add much beauty. This kind of Art is so awesome, and being made available to persons such as myself, makes me feel he has reached the least of us. IMHO.