Erie & Southern - N Scale

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Figured I'd better start a new thread with the new road name, so people (including myself!) don't get confused.

Givens
- Max layout size: 9x6x3 L shape
- N scale
- Transition era (1953) near the end of steam

Druthers
- No point to point. Would like some continuous run with some switching.
- Single track mainline w/ passing sidings.
- Industry (in order of importance) Coal, lumber, grain, oil.
- 2 towns for passenger traffic, 3 towns would be nice.
- At least 1 interchange

In The Classic Layout Designs of John Armstrong, there's a layout called "French Broad Valley". It is shown in HO scale to fit a space of 10x18, so it should fit my available space in N scale with little modificaiton.

scan0002eo3.jpg

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Most of what I *want* to run is 33' open hopper cars. I'm trying to keep things small, and most of my boxcars are of the 40' variety, though I do have a few 50's and a 60'. I want a lumber yard, so those will have to use flatcars. I'd like to run passenger trains eventually, so that may be an issue on some parts of the layout.

As for engines, I will be using an Atlas GP-7, and at the largest, a 2-8-4/4-6-2/2-8-2 for steam. 11" should cover just about anything in N scale, or so I thought.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Do you have an access that will allow you to reach the back at all points of the layout? If you lay out the benchwork and then try to reach to the back before you lay any track, you will quickly learn how far you can reach without destroying the scenery in front. If you have access to get to the back of the layout, you won't have any problem.

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Yes, my layout will be on casters, so it can be moveable. See The Aluminum Benchwork Project on my website, or search for the thread on these forums.

I've measured with a yardstick at waist height, and I can reach up to 3' comforably. I don't want to get in the habit of knocking down structures, so I will probably roll the layout away from the walls when operating.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
I love this layout:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
you have continuous running, plenty of ops, and room for lots of scenery.
Shows a lot of thought went into the planning. Excellent work!:thumb:

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
2-8-2 said:
Yes, my layout will be on casters, so it can be moveable. See The Aluminum Benchwork Project on my website, or search for the thread on these forums.

I've measured with a yardstick at waist height, and I can reach up to 3' comforably. I don't want to get in the habit of knocking down structures, so I will probably roll the layout away from the walls when operating.

That is one thing you don't want to do, is knock things over. You don't want to make it to wide but if you would happen to you could always put in a lift out section that way you can access the part you can't reach, but from what you said you will have no problem.:D

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
It looks very good to me. I only miss a small yard and an engine facility where you could build trains and store engines that are not on duty. You have lots of industries and I think it would not hurt to let go one or two of them (i.e. close to the interchange) and have a yard instead. Just a thought :wave: .

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
On our modular club, most of our structures for all of the modules (club corners as well as members modules) have removeable structures. The floors are solidly mounted to the layout, and then the structure walls are located by the floors. Ground foam is added around the structure to hide the joint and glued down. When the structure is in place, it looks like it is permanently attached, but is removeable for transport. The same thing could be done for access to the back of a layout. Another method that has been used is to permanently mount the building's foundation (rock or concrete) to the layout. Glue a styrene or wood piece around the inside of the foundation to act as a centering piece. Then the structure is placed on the foundation. It is easily removed if you need to reach over it to rerail a train.

MILWFan

I've been looking at this plan a lot in the last few weeks - it appeared in MR April 1957, designed by John Armstong. There is a 5x9 version for HO, and than this L shaped one.
CNW, 2-8-2 has excluded a small engine facility that appears on the original plan - it is located in the open area of benchwork that is on the diagonal from the coal mine, in what would be the bottom of the L. It includes a terminal, small engine house, two tracks. I've sketched it in red on the diagram.

The idea in the plan was that this branch line, which is along the river and significantly lower than the main line, would utilize a helper engine to get up the 3% grade, and the helper would be stowed here.

It's a great plan, one that I am planning on building - glad to see others think the same!

MILWFan

2-8-2 I have also found two other plans that are quite similar, but they both use a lower level staging area and reversing loops. One is the NP layout shown in the Jan 2006 MR. The other is "The Upper Mississippi Railroad" shown in 20 Custom Designed Track Plans by John Armstrong.

I am wondering if you couldn't apply the same principles to the French Broad Valley. It would involve having the track going to a lower level near the coal mine, and at the other end, just behind the town. Then build reversing loops and staging yards on the lower level. Seems it would be possible with this plan as well. Let me know if you want me to post copies of the plans. Not sure if this infringes on copyrights, so somebody please advise me on that if so.

fred