Echo Base, this is Rogue Two

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I simplified the harpoon a bit and skipped the detailing strips. The barrel and the mount are made of a toothpick. This was done to make work a bit simpler (hell, at this scale these tubes are TINY!) ;)

1626432070203.jpg

1626432070200.jpg

I cut a hole into the mounting points and pushed the mount through them. It sits very securely even without glue - and can be rotated. :)

DSCF9742.JPG

And now the massacre begins:

DSCF9744.JPG

The wrong tips of the side pieces of the fuselage were removed.

DSCF9745.JPG

Now I'm using several pieces of scrap paper to determine the shape of the new parts.

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I've always liked this ship. The way it was shown flying in the movies always irked me as they showed the spoilerons/ailerons moving in the wrong direction relative to the ships movement. Also, this model actually has room for the rear gunner as the movie prop had the guys legs sticking out through the bottom, either that, or they had a lot of pilots with no lower halves to their legs. Great job!! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Indeed! :)

It took several attempts to know what to do to accurize the shape. The result will not be 100% screen-accurate, however, that is not the goal. Getting the model screen-accurate woud require a complete remake since there are so many inaccuracies like the panel lines and missing pieces. The marvellous texture saves the model and justifies the upgrade. I really did not believe that it would require so much work in the end and I hope to get it ready in five days because that is when my deadline ends. :)

So now. To determine a different shape in three dimensions without computer support is a bit tricky. I found it easy to use several strips of paper with pointy edges.

DSCF9749.JPG

I put the pointy edge into a corner, add another piece, tape the two together and work my way up.

DSCF9746.JPG

DSCF9747.JPG

DSCF9748.JPG

DSCF9750.JPG

A few parts later I realized that the shape can be simplified further, so I came up with this:

DSCF9751.JPG

Taped together it looks like a little bird:

DSCF9752.JPG

Now the shape is scanned and turned into the first upgrade piece for the bottom. :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
You truly have an innate ability to fabricate out of thin air. You do have something much more powerful than any computer or computer program, the insight and the multi dimensional thinking prowess of your brain. ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry for the late update but I had to get this sucker ready in time (yesterday!). Small spoiler: I was successful. The plane is ready and has already benn given to my friend. ;)

And this is how the goal was achieved:

A google search gave me a nice straight-on view of the bottom of the original miniature. I chopped this into pieces and fabricated several new parts and layers in Gimp:

1626953234742.jpg

1626953234741.jpg

These were test-fitted to see how and if they worked:

1626953234738.jpg

1626953234739.jpg

1626953234736.jpg

1626953234732.jpg

No big problems there. So I started glueing the new parts into place:

DSCF9753.jpg

DSCF9755.jpg

DSCF9756.jpg

DSCF9757.jpg

I was amazed at this one fitting on the first try because it was the trickiest part to design. :)

Now the rest was simply glued to the surface.

DSCF9759.jpg

DSCF9760.jpg

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Next was the missing intake:

DSCF9762.jpg

The intake was designed in Sketchup, unfolded and textured in Gimp.

Two parts are laminated to 1mm card:

DSCF9763.jpg

DSCF9764.jpg

DSCF9766.jpg

DSCF9767.jpg

To my surprise this piece fit precisely at the first try, too.

DSCF9769.jpg

The exhaust block had to be thickened up and received this extension:

DSCF9771.jpg

And just when I thought it was a walk in the park I noticed that the breaking flaps are in the wrong position:

DSCF9772.jpg

The right one should be on the left side and vice versa. In addition, the glueing marks are wrong. That meant my previous work to update them was completely in vain and needed another rework.

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you very much! :)

I saved the flaps for later so that they could not break off by accident and took care of the radiator flaps. Since I added a new part to the exhaust all pieces had to be extended by the height of the new part. The new flaps were printed and laminated to some card.

DSCF9774.jpg

I used a black marker to paint the back side. That went extremely well.

DSCF9775.jpg

Then I attached the new flaps - again with no problems! :)

DSCF9776.jpg

The glueing marks at the rear were painted black. The pieces that went there were attached deeper than before to compensate for the radiator extension.

DSCF9777.jpg

DSCF9778.jpg

Not too bad, methinks! :)

DSCF9779.jpg

DSCF9781.jpg

Time to attach the new breaking flaps:

DSCF9782.jpg

Phew, that's it! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Now it was part for the stand.

I cut out the one that came with the kit to see how it went together.

DSCF9784.jpg

DSCF9786.jpg

UGH! It was supposed to be glued to the plane! Maybe that was the reason why the bottom was so scarcely detailed...

Hmm... That was absolutely inacceptable. I took out the stand I designed for the Triangle ship, recoloured it and made a new fitting mount:

DSCF9787.jpg

DSCF9788.jpg

DSCF9789.jpg

DSCF9790.jpg

DONE! :)

- almost...

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I still had some time left and examined the model closely. Then it occured to me that I could add some detail to the harpoon:

DSCF9791.jpg

Then I added some greeblies to the front cannon mount:

DSCF9792.jpg

These were cut from toothpicks and painted black.

DSCF9793.jpg

And the cannons themselves needed a small addition:

DSCF9794.jpg

DSCF9795.jpg

Now it was DONE! FOR REAL!!! :)

1626951207545.jpg

1626951207550.jpg

1626951207554.jpg