I've always liked this ship. The way it was shown flying in the movies always irked me as they showed the spoilerons/ailerons moving in the wrong direction relative to the ships movement. Also, this model actually has room for the rear gunner as the movie prop had the guys legs sticking out through the bottom, either that, or they had a lot of pilots with no lower halves to their legs. Great job!!
It took several attempts to know what to do to accurize the shape. The result will not be 100% screen-accurate, however, that is not the goal. Getting the model screen-accurate woud require a complete remake since there are so many inaccuracies like the panel lines and missing pieces. The marvellous texture saves the model and justifies the upgrade. I really did not believe that it would require so much work in the end and I hope to get it ready in five days because that is when my deadline ends.
So now. To determine a different shape in three dimensions without computer support is a bit tricky. I found it easy to use several strips of paper with pointy edges.
I put the pointy edge into a corner, add another piece, tape the two together and work my way up.
A few parts later I realized that the shape can be simplified further, so I came up with this:
Taped together it looks like a little bird:
Now the shape is scanned and turned into the first upgrade piece for the bottom.
You truly have an innate ability to fabricate out of thin air. You do have something much more powerful than any computer or computer program, the insight and the multi dimensional thinking prowess of your brain.
I saved the flaps for later so that they could not break off by accident and took care of the radiator flaps. Since I added a new part to the exhaust all pieces had to be extended by the height of the new part. The new flaps were printed and laminated to some card.
I used a black marker to paint the back side. That went extremely well.
Then I attached the new flaps - again with no problems!
The glueing marks at the rear were painted black. The pieces that went there were attached deeper than before to compensate for the radiator extension.