Eastern Tn logging on the DG CC & W RR 1928

Bill Nelson

Got it together, will need to get a different motor soulotion. On straight test track it sores fine, but on curved track , changing from reverse to forward the rear drivers lift enough to

18AEA9C9-7B79-4F9E-B839-6AC2498C5311.jpeg
Painted the new foundation for the Srtong and Perry sawmill.

F30CB5A6-7731-464F-BD87-4AD79F51A0A9.jpeg

Bill Nelson

Have to put a different motor in #2, the shaft is a tad high, and when changing from reverse to forward it lifts the rear drivers enough to derail on a curve. worked fine on the work bench, but not on the layout.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
It's amazing you have different thickness motors to do this. Frankly, I just amazed by how much equipment you have, and how many beautiful trains, Locos, and accessories you have, and all the buildings, bridges, it just goes on and on!. :)

Bill Nelson

Zathros, the DGCC&WRR will be 52 years old this Christmas, although it took a couple years to get that name, but most stuff gets rebuilt and reused, I don't throw out much.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I do the same with MG. car parts, and some older Mercedes Benz parts, and have far too many tube amplifiers!! :)

Bill Nelson

The wife had a medical conference last weekend, so I had some un supervised time, with no pressing work to do on the farm; so I took some time to work on my layout.

I have extended some sub roadbed into the Southern Staging area. I wired up the track from the Southern main in Harlow, which makes a return loop, and wired in a reverser switch to the track which connects the Southern main in Harlow to the Southern Staging, which will also be a return loop, if I can resolve some clearance issues.

Complexing Southern Staging will explode my operatin options.

28E1BC48-DDB9-40E6-B0BA-B1D0A6F62F6C.jpeg

Southern Staging bellow the back side of Harlow TN.
B8876501-172A-4740-9CDD-AB2A34A5EA5B.jpeg
The track to the Southern Staging under the front side of Harlow.
37A8FA99-E90A-47DA-BC99-971E8F9B1B74.jpeg

To the left, the Southern main in Harlow closes in on itself to make a return loop. Before taking 3/4 of a trip down the helix . This weekend I fixed the fit of the walls to either side of the Southern main as it enters into my strangely skewed helix. The walls needed to be trimmed to fit perfectly upright, which I accomplished with a coarse belt sander.

E2FC595A-8022-486A-BBA3-3977117E47AE.jpeg

A DPDT switch controlsthe first turnout to Southern Staging.

F9A38F7C-A428-4625-A8FF-22960AB4BAF2.jpeg

It is wired as a reverser, when the switch is thrown to the outside track, the Southern helix tracks power will have the polarity correct for that route. The Southern South tower operator will need to throw that switch , and the switch for the Harlow return loop together.

Bill Nelson

With Harlow now being in the middle of my RR, instead of at the far end, half my log trains will roll through downtown Harlow, which will be weird.

Bill Nelson

Putting in the plywood for my Southern Staging. Dialed it back some from four tracks on the return loop to three, to minimize clearance issues under Harlow. It I’d going to be a bear to lay track with minimal clearance anyway, s keeping it simpler will help.

I had thought with the rebuild, that much longer trains might be possible, but now I’m seeing it mostly built , I’m thinking 10 car trains might be more manageable than the larger trains I had imagined. Likely there won’t be more than 3 Southern trains at any given time, unless I buy or build another Southern locomotive. The third would use a Bowser Pensy atlantic. Which I may try to remove the belphare fire box from, and repaint.

35C59EF5-5BF8-4EEA-BCA1-A8B9AF7C0318.jpeg

Bill Nelson

Got the subroadbed down for the Southern Staging all the way down the back aisle. Will need to ad some bracing, but I have established the grade needed to clear the bracing under the river. I can match that grade, so it will be easier to do the subroadbed on the other aisle, most of the plywood is cut, it will just need to be trimmed to fit.

Putting down roadbed, and laying track in such a tight place will be tough, but the staging area will explode my operational opportunities, and create a car shortage at the same

E96107D7-72CA-47B5-AC03-43837C18F5C3.jpeg

Bill Nelson

Thanks Tom, slow going from here, but IIm poking at getting the first couple switches pre wired with drops. There is not enough room above the staging tracks to make working on them easy. I’m going to do the back track first, when that loop is in , with agap in the middle, I’ll be able to store two Southern trains. Since I only have 3 Southern locomotives, and one is DCC for the club, that will be sufficient for minimal operation, but two more tracks will eventually allow storage of four trains, with an open loop .

DA898F72-70E3-47BF-94BB-ACD8EAF70EC0.jpeg

Bill Nelson

18D88F7D-F6D1-4792-A4A2-6EE738650E00.jpeg Roadbed going in on the front Aisle staging.

A695635F-BDEA-4D67-BCE5-3AABBC8E50CA.jpeg
And the track is hooked up.

715FC8D2-602B-4461-BF5A-4C83C92AD16C.jpeg
Here is The switch ladder. There are under the tie uncouplers under the inside two tracks., but not the outside track.

C7EEFD07-3126-494A-9ECC-D215EFA87C8B.jpeg
This due to the length, is already larger than any yard on my layout, and I haven’t started the back aisle tracks.

Bill Nelson

Short on Peco code 100 flex, don’t have enough to close all 3 loops , so for now I will have one return loop, with two two track stub end staging yards.

Am going to be broke for a while, so Ihave to work with supplies on hand.

6F85738E-C325-4EBB-A3AE-51FFF743A63B.jpeg

A201220C-FF1E-40B1-A932-35A2878A71DD.jpeg

Bill Nelson

I got the return loop closed up, with a gap in the inside rail so the power routing switches.

It just needs testing to see if I wired the reversible polarity on the Southern main down the helix between the return loop in Harlow, and the onein Southern Staging.

I just have the wires twisted together, so if something is wired backwards, fixing it will be easy, although figuring it out might not be.

I have the two two track stub yards in, but Iwillwant to pull them out, as I’m almost out of Code 100 Peco flex, and will want to use what I have for the return loop at the end of the line.

I have some ugly Atlas code 100 flex I can use for the yard track.

C23F1DBD-1CF6-49A9-AC05-6FFF0EAB7D3A.jpeg

2A9D9DB7-F7C5-49D1-AD0F-9041ACA82EA2.jpeg

Right now I just have these two Southern locomotives, but with four yard tracks, and the loop, I could easily handle five Southern trains, possibly six.

I had this Bowser Atlantic that Tyler found for me for $25.00. Thing is it had a Belphare firebox, making it a very distinctive Pensy engine. I finally got brave enough to cary the boiler to thebench grinder, and look Ma, no Belphare fire box.

2346BC7A-55E6-4F1E-919C-F0F5664C4616.jpeg

I am also pulling the decoder from a Tyco 2-6-2 I was fixing up for the club. That will get me up to 4 Southern locomotives, and I have a Mantua 2-6-6-2 that similarly was getting DCC and sound for the club, but will get rebuilt as a Southern locomotive.