double-main folded-dogbone in N-scale

Grindar

Mar 7, 2008
This sound feasible to you guys? the space I'm gonna be working with is probably gonna be 4x8, might be able to squeeze it to 5x8, depends how the furniture gets rearranged. I'm thinking maybe 1, maybe 2 crossover exchanges between the loops. the only siding I'd want on the outer loop is a spur, to eventually connect to an external staging yard, not a priority at this point. Probably a few sidings w/industries on the inner loop.

I don't have a lot of rolling stock, so sidings aren't a priority...I mostly like to see 'em roll anyways.

Finally getting to build a layout after years of nothing! anybody got any plans similar to this, so I can get a feel of how the spacing works out?

Oh, I plan on a decent elevation change for the inner loop of the dogbone, so that it doesn't just sit next to the other 2 tracks.

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
If you intend to run more than one train, a double main makes a lot of sense on a small layout. On a small layout, you don't have enough room for two passing sidings, without them being on top of each other anyway, so a double main is a better solution.

Grindar

Mar 7, 2008
Yeah, this one kind of caught my eye

http://www.naisp.net/mfischer/Trkplans/78x30_06.gif

but make it into a double main all the way around, instead of just over the bridges. My planned space is bigger than a door, so I should be able to add the second main without sacrificing turn radius on the inner loop? I'll probably nix the whole yard, but put a couple sidings in it's place, and move the spur to face down a narrow side for when I have money to build an add-on yard (all those switches (O.O). If I have time later, I'll start knocking something out in RTS.

Any thoughts on this?

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
That should be doable on a 5x8. I would draw it out first, like you plan. Good plan to start with. Industries, an area for a town and scenery. Good choice.

Loren

Grindar

Mar 7, 2008
Do you guys think 2" is enough clearance for the bridges? Also, anyone got any recommendations for the bridges? I was looking at some Kato double track bridges...how easy is it to interface the unitrak with regular code 80 flex track?

If I do them as single track bridges, what do you guys think about maybe doing one main as truss, one as plate girder to try and say "built at different times", maybe accentuate it a bit with weathering?

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Grindar,

5x8 is huge for N scale. You can have really broad curves so you can run auto racks and passenger cars and they'll look great. You can get a huge folded dogbone in that space, with lots of room for scenerey and trains to boot.

Attachments

• grindar bone.jpg
    grindar bone.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 62

Grindar

Mar 7, 2008
2" railhead to bottom-of-bridge...

I don't plan on running any double-stacks, but some auto carriers would be nice. That should be the tallest thing I'll run.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That's 26'8" in N scale. Real double-stacks ride 20'2" high with hi-cube containers, and even assuming that models may ride a little higher, that's more than enough for anything, including every high-and-wide load I've ever seen.