Double Diamond Ranch

RailRon

Robin,

one more time you have created a wonderful scene in a very realistic setting. It is just fantastic how all these parts of your ranch blend into one scene which looks as realistic as landscape modeling can get. :cool:

Congratulations! When I think of all the models you created (and shared with us :)), your layout must be one of the most realistic and beautiful ones anywhere.

Ron

(Having said that, I'm sitting back and waiting for your next creation...:rolleyes: :D :D )

Robin that looks great :)

A similar question was asked of my uncle, a hobbyist wood worker, how much he would sell his creations for, and like yourself he didn't know as his materials cost almost nothing (he used scrap wood from his workplace).

He ultimately decided he wouldn't ever start selling things as he hates doing the same project twice, but his thoughts on pricing would have been to charge for his time. Therefore work out how many hours a project took and charge an hourly rate. Probably means the price zooms through the roof, but then thats the point of something hand-built, you pay for the builder's time not his materials.

Simon

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Thanks for the very kind words folks.
It is my pleasure to share my layout efforts with all of you at the Gauge.

Russ Bellinis

Originally posted by Sir_Tainly
Robin that looks great :)

A similar question was asked of my uncle, a hobbyist wood worker, how much he would sell his creations for, and like yourself he didn't know as his materials cost almost nothing (he used scrap wood from his workplace).

He ultimately decided he wouldn't ever start selling things as he hates doing the same project twice, but his thoughts on pricing would have been to charge for his time. Therefore work out how many hours a project took and charge an hourly rate. Probably means the price zooms through the roof, but then thats the point of something hand-built, you pay for the builder's time not his materials.

Simon

As fast as Robin seems to add details to one of his projects, I'm not sure if charging for his time would pay what the completed model is worth! Once again, AWSOME MODELING!

Pooh Bah
Prices

Robin:
At our club we once discussed the selling price of assembled kits.
I observed that, if I charged for my time the way my company charges for it (in the hundreds of dollars an hour), a cardboard building would cost $1000 to $2000 based on a few days work.
And mine wouldn't look anything like yours!

Robin, I'm awed at your inventiveness and skill in scratchbuilding.
Every aspect of your project is just out of this world. Your stonebuilt structure had my jaw hitting the desk with it's texture and colours... what a fantastic technique!:eek:
Then I find it didn't stop there! A wind pump which sits upright... great balls of fire! Is that enough? ... heck no, you go and tackle a complex cattle-pen. Believe me I know the problems in scratching these finniky things... and you make it seem like childs play (hehehe, I bet you have less hair on your head now than when you started all this :D :D ).
You made a magnificent job of the whole Ranch .. top notch stuff my friend. Have a glass or two of Glenfiddich, you deserve it :) .

Your first sale of plastic steaks might very well be for Spitfire's steak house (though she doesn't know it yet).
BUT .... I hope you keep the horses separate from the steers ... horse steaks would ruin Spitfire's business!!;)

Cardboard rules!!! OK??

Errol

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Thanks again folks. Errol , I will be seeing Val(spitfire) at the November 22nd train show here in Toronto so I am sure she will be getting after me to supply her business.
I know pricing is difficult as I had to do that when I made wood stuff to sell at a craft store. You just can't use time as a factor. I used to look at my tolal cost including electricity for my workshop and gas for my old pickup to go and get wood. Then I added ten percent as my profit. Worked out quite well but couldn't keep up with orders. I wouldn't want to get orders for many of the same thing as that builds pressure to get the job done and I don't need the stress.
Based on this I would probably sell the house for $15, the stockyard for $15 or the complete ranch for $50 including the windpump and stable bunkhouse. Not that this one is for sale anyway. When I have made all the structures needed for my layout, I may consider making a few items and put them up for sale in the buy and sell forum and see what happens.

Arlaghan

To sell or trade... ?

I've been watching this thread with much interest. (Every time Robin posts to it, chances are there's a new pic!)

I am really looking forward to seeing your stuff next Summer! :D

Concerning selling one's work: When I was in college (making $80 a week) I was heavily into wooden ship models, but could barely afford the kits (anywhere from $100 to $600+). So after saving up to buy my first kit, I proceed to scratch a model of it at 1/2 the scale (which was 1:65 so ended up being 1:130) to do all my mistakes on that, rather than the $119 kit!

Turned out so well, I got immediate request to buy it. I had no idea what to sell it for, but I knew I wanted another kit ($230) so I asked for that amount. Turned out pretty well for me, as scratching smaller versions of kits funded my purchase of new kits! All I paid for was the materials I used (wood is not cheap though) and my time!

Robin, maybe you had your eye on one of the more pricier kits? Maybe you could make one of your fantastic structures and someone would be willing to do a trade for it! Just a thought! :D

spitfire

Originally posted by kettlestack

Your first sale of plastic steaks might very well be for Spitfire's steak house (though she doesn't know it yet).
BUT .... I hope you keep the horses separate from the steers ... horse steaks would ruin Spitfire's business!!;)

Steakhouse???!!! I thought it was gonna be a Bar & Grill!

cheers
Val

I'm chuckling here Robin

I'm thinking perhaps you don't have enough hair left on your head after this project to tackle models on commission Robin!!! :D :D :D

I do agree though that the effort that goes into models of your quality are really priceless. I would hate to have to make models of such precision for a buyer as I would become hyper critical of my work and probably have a breakdown :( .

BTW... A pic of Spitfire's Steak House is in my thread now (or will be in a few minutes).

Errol