Does anyone know where the Orions can be found?

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
I can't do a damned thing till my Ryzen 5800X CPU comes in and my ASUS MoBo B550 TUF 3rd Gen comes in. It's all taking much longer than expected but should be a great set up. I have an MSI R9 series with 8 Gigs of DDR4 video ram, but that may throttle the CPU 8 to 14%, the system will be so much faster, I doubt I'll notice it. I don't have $1200 bucks for a new GPU now.
They are so overpriced because of bitmining. Prices will come down in 6 to 8 months.
I share your frustration and optimism in regards to GPUs.

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
I can't do a damned thing till my Ryzen 5800X CPU comes in and my ASUS MoBo B550 TUF 3rd Gen comes in. It's all taking much longer than expected but should be a great set up. I have an MSI R9 series with 8 Gigs of DDR4 video ram, but that may throttle the CPU 8 to 14%, the system will be so much faster, I doubt I'll notice it. I don't have $1200 bucks for a new GPU now.
They are so overpriced because of bitmining. Prices will come down in 6 to 8 months.

I sympathize.

As you know from our previous conversations, i have been looking to replace an 11 year old computer, which had served me well, but isn't up to the task today. You are right! The prices have jumped ad reached stratosphere.

But I have no doubt that you'll replace your Great Machine again soon...

"Zathras have many jobs to do as Keeper for Great Machine. Zathras clean gears and mechanics, keep from rust. Rust in Great Machine would be bad, very bad."

Even if its expensive...

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I can't believe it. The MoBo came in yesterday and the CPU is supposed to come in today. They (Amazon) had said the end of the month. So barring no D.O.A.'s, I should be up and running in a few days.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Sometimes when I open meshes, Ill3 find 10 lines stacked upon eachother. Lines that don't intersect with the radius they are supposed to. I have a Minbari Sharline mesh that is wondrous but it has taken me 5 hours to remove half of the garbage. Many more hours to go, then make it unfold! Rhino will not Render models with garbage in them. I don't know how other programs can Render this stuff. I have to remove all superfluous curves and Radii, then replacing every single curve and Radii with ones I create. In Rhino there are no lines, everything is a curve. Rhino sees the lines but cannot work with them till they are replaced with curves, which can be as straight as an arrow. Working in layers makes this much easier and I am also able to improve and correct the original mesh, which no longer exists when I am done. The Minbari Sharlin mesh was "thrown" to the wind, the owner giving permission to do whatever anyone wanted to do with it. Hopefully I can still access it on my back up drives. It will be interesting to see how well Norton backup worked. My confidence is low.

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
I can't believe it. The MoBo came in yesterday and the CPU is supposed to come in today. They (Amazon) had said the end of the month. So barring no D.O.A.'s, I should be up and running in a few days.
"The Mysteries of Amazon Shipping"

Some of the greatest mysteries the universe has to offer!

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Sometimes when I open meshes, Ill3 find 10 lines stacked upon eachother. Lines that don't intersect with the radius they are supposed to. I have a Minbari Sharline mesh that is wondrous but it has taken me 5 hours to remove half of the garbage. Many more hours to go, then make it unfold! Rhino will not Render models with garbage in them. I don't know how other programs can Render this stuff. I have to remove all superfluous curves and Radii, then replacing every single curve and Radii with ones I create. In Rhino there are no lines, everything is a curve. Rhino sees the lines but cannot work with them till they are replaced with curves, which can be as straight as an arrow. Working in layers makes this much easier and I am also able to improve and correct the original mesh, which no longer exists when I am done. The Minbari Sharlin mesh was "thrown" to the wind, the owner giving permission to do whatever anyone wanted to do with it. Hopefully I can still access it on my back up drives. It will be interesting to see how well Norton backup worked. My confidence is low.
i wish you the best of luck with the data recovery!

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
I like this Matt Jefferis design being used as a Orion cruiser in STAR TREK CONTINUES episodes-https://youtu.be/4mOpmIFTxkE?list=PLhvh2eq-XLgqNxH6npvQxGxLCUHy90IpZ
1642015228769.png

Lou Ferino - TVs Incredible Hulk stars as the Orion capt.

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
I like this Matt Jefferis design being used as a Orion cruiser in STAR TREK CONTINUES episodes-https://youtu.be/4mOpmIFTxkE?list=PLhvh2eq-XLgqNxH6npvQxGxLCUHy90IpZ
View attachment 199969

Lou Ferino - TVs Incredible Hulk stars as the Orion capt.

I saw that! You're right too; this was a cool ship.

It had an interesting Star Trek History.

A ship similar in design to the one from the original, fan produced Start Trek episode Lorani, that is pictured above. It was developed by Matt Jefferies; the designer of the NCC-1701 and many spacecraft and props on the original Star Trek. He had agreed to create a parallel series of models to sell as "kind-of" Trek, marketed by AMT as another space series. The company saw the opportunity in having a model series not depending upon Star Trek as their primary science fiction source for model kits. The plan was that this ship design [see below] marketed as the Leif Ericson; a main craft featured in a series of comic books that would be marketed along with AMT's model series. The Interplanetary UFO/Lief Ericson form was taken from an early design for the USS Enterprise that was rejected by Roddenberry, then passed over for the Interplanetary Space Freighter, DY-100. Jefferies,a brilliant and educated designer, liked the look and figured he'd make some money off it in another life. He'd tried getting it included into the Animated episodes, only to have it cut from the finished versions that were broadcast. When AMT was seeking a money-maker, he'd tried using it as the flagship for the project.

But it wasn't to be...

Though the design did look good, the comic production never lifted off and the rest of his accompanying designs (which would have included a larger shuttle and other ships) never were ordered. AMT re-issued the failed effort as the "Glow-In-The Dark" UFO model, with a bit more success. They AMT changed hands, and priorities several times. The Interplanetary UFO was lost in the shuffle.

I have to admit; I liked this model. I built it as a kid and it held up well over 50 years. I have always respected the clean, Jefferies-futuristic style and the logic in where components were placed.

BTW: someone sent me a paper version of this, many years ago, that was never completed. He offered it to me to make the project work after he'd lost interest. If I have Zathros' luck in getting my computer up, and a graphics system for it, I may take a turn to try cleaning it up and making it available for everyone as a paper kit. I'll just have to search my emails for the designer to give him the credit for there pdo that I would be developing the finished kit from!

Attachments

• IP-UFO model box.jpg
    IP-UFO model box.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 5

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I had that model way back, my dad brought it home to me one day after he saw it on the shelf at the BX....

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oh man, the Leif Ericson! I haven't seen that classic kit in a long time. I agree, it should be immortalized in paper some day..! :)

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
There are a lot of 3D printed models of this model, so there is plenty material available to make a paper model.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Now this is interesting:

1642190388237.png

Obviously Mattel took some inspiration from the Leif Ericson when they designed the toy Viper versions. This is an artwork by Otto Kuhni.

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Well, with the Eaglemoss files released, maybe someone with more talent than I will make an Orion Interceptor paper more a real thing?