Worked over the sketch to establish the poses. Still not completely familiar with the characters which is why I need the checklist to count them off as I add them :)

paw_patrol_mural_layout_01b_by_strick67_deoqgsr-pre.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Your ability to draw like you do squarely puts you in the artists category. Allen Tam sent some some pictures of the storyboard he did for Disney's Fantasia II. Beautiful sketching and artistry. In your field, you have to be able to sketch free hand with nothing more than a pencil/stylus, and your imagination. Presently Allen Tam does the background props for the Adult humor cartoon "Rick and Morty". If you haven't seen an episode, I highly suggest it, high brow humor, not for kids, though they could watch it, they just wouldn't really understand much of the humor.

I visualize 3D concepts and turns them into reality using machinery (or paper), be they computer controlled, or manual. It's easier for me to actually make the part than draw it. It's kind of a handicap. :)

Your ability to draw like you do squarely puts you in the artists category. Allen Tam sent some some pictures of the storyboard he did for Disney's Fantasia II. Beautiful sketching and artistry. In your field, you have to be able to sketch free hand with nothing more than a pencil/stylus, and your imagination. Presently Allen Tam does the background props for the Adult humor cartoon "Rick and Morty". If you haven't seen an episode, I highly suggest it, high brow humor, not for kids, though they could watch it, they just wouldn't really understand much of the humor.
I've heard of Rick and Morty, I'll have to check it out.

I visualize 3D concepts and turns them into reality using machinery (or paper), be they computer controlled, or manual. It's easier for me to actually make the part than draw it. It's kind of a handicap. :)
Experience and skill often makes drawing an unnecessary step.

Reactions: zathros
Gaaagh! forgot to take the light switch into account, that was careless of me :).
So I'm adjusting the layout, raising tracker above the switch and moving Rocky to the opposite side above Zuma and under Skye.

paw_patrol___mural_layout_02_by_strick67_deoskye-pre.jpg

I've also divided the area into 100mm squares, want a finer wall-transfer grid than I used for the dinosaurs. I'll re-draw the details over this scribble, maybe tonight if I'm not busy. I prefer to re-draw rather than re-use 'cause it keeps the line-work fresh.

OilyBoatshaper

Aug 11, 2021
Haven't been active for a while, had a bit of a break from arty stuff. Got myself a Surface Pro, hopefully it'll help me get back into drawing. Of course I couldn't resist removing Windows and putting Ubuntu on it (sorry Microsoft I just prefer Linux).

Courtesy of the patched Kernel from linux-surface It seems to work pretty well. My drawing/painting software of choice is Krita, I've been making some custom brushes (pencils, pens, crayons) to try and replicate my scratchy drawing style, this Ceratosaurus pair is the first experiment. Entirely digital, no traditional media was harmed in the construction of this drawing.

decy7s9-0f187657-ecd9-4309-a4d1-10d8766baa2a.jpg

There's another motive at work here too, my Grandsons have moved into a new house and are wanting a mural for their bedroom. Dinosaur themed of course, there's not much wall space but I'll see what I can come up with. It's been years since I've done any proper drawing, this is the start of me tuning up my hand and eye a bit so I'll probably post some more scribbles intermittently.

Reactions: Strick67
Been away from this for too long. I really want to get the digital draft finished so I can start putting paint on the wall. Decided on a canvas size of 4300 pixels wide for the draft. There's no colour harmony needed for this rainbow hued cartoon image so I can conveniently chop the scene up and paint the characters individually.

Rubble on the double!
Paint sequence for Rubble, might as well start with my favourite pup :). I prefer to keep the colouring as simple as possible with a shade and a highlight layer.

depcmyv-949f4161-3211-4d84-9f8a-c230811a37d5.gif

"Arf! Arf!" it's Robo-Dog - From woof sketch to finished item

depeann-f3bacbe3-cc7e-4593-86a3-4c3594dcfba1.gif

Looking with fresh eyes at the Rubble drawing I did yesterday I've a few issues, the head proportions are a little funky and I don't like the teeth. Might redraw or maybe try to adjust when I put on the wall. It'll keep for a while, need to get a few more pups drawn tonight.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
My wife just walked in, and saw Paw Patrol on my screen and asked why I'm looking at it on my computer while she has it on the TV for the grand daughter.. so funny :animated:

These characters look spot on to me. Great work.