Designing the Su-7, Su-9, Su-17, Su-22 and MiG-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paragon

After finishing the F-25 and F-86, I feel like I've sort of got a thing for making new models in Ojimak's style. I was somewhat disappointed at the lack of Russian models on Ojimak's site (though the ones he has are excellent, and at the time were exactly what I was looking for). So I decided to design a Russian fighter.

I quickly identified Ojimak's F-8J as a good beginning for a model of the MiG-21 "Fishbed", and decided that it would be next. I quickly remembered the large number of very similarly designed Russian aircraft, oddly all seemingly from Sukhoi, so I decided to create modifications for the MiG-21 model for each of the Sukhoi aircraft.

The first prototype of the MiG-21 is complete now, and I think it looks very good myself. I will begin constructing the second prototype shortly, which I expect will have all of the issues ironed out of it. If that proves to be the case, I will then create a final colored version of the fighter, and then use the prototype to develope the next aircraft (which will probably be the Su-22, because I like it more than the others). The Su-22 and Su-17 wings should also be moveable when complete.

Anyway, I figured I'd post some images of the prototype and see what you all think;

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 82

57townsman

That looks great for your first prototype. I think you really got the hang of Ojimak's style, it looks simple yet elegant as do his designs. :mrgreen:

SteveK

Dragos

I would like to build that Mig :thumb: looks good.
Are you gona give him a camo like this please?:mrgreen:

Attachments

• Mig21lancer-a.jpg
    Mig21lancer-a.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 2,610

Paragon

I would like to build that Mig :thumb: looks good.
Are you gona give him a camo like this please?:mrgreen:

As a matter of fact, I just finished the colored version and...........

Attachments

• MiG-21-1 copy.jpg
    MiG-21-1 copy.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 146
  • MiG-21-2 copy.jpg
    MiG-21-2 copy.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 114

Dragos

That's great Paragon thanks a lot. New all I have to do is to change the roundel and build it. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Paragon

That's great Paragon thanks a lot. New all I have to do is to change the roundel and build it. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Don't bother building that one yet, wait for the instructions. Besides, those two images are much lower quality than the PDFs I will release when it's done. That should be coming later today or tomorrow.

In fact, I can make another version and switch out the star and numbers just for you. ;) That MiG-21 is Belgian, right?

Dragos

Hello Paragon,
I would like to have a version with the stars changed into roundels. The Mig from my picture is not Belgian, it is Romanian. As a matter a fact I don't think that Belgian Air Force has any Mig-21 in her service.
I hope theese pictures will help you

Attachments

• Resize of lancer_a_6581.jpg
    Resize of lancer_a_6581.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 44
  • lancerB.jpg
    lancerB.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 2,358

Paragon

Ah, the center is blue, not black. Ok. I'll change that real quick. ;)

Hmm...I should have guess Romania I suppose...since that's where you're from. wall1

Ok, as soon as the instructions are done and I have an official OK from Ojimak, I'll send you those files.

Also; I began work on the Su-17/22 (they're practically the same) prototype. I'll build the Colored Mig-21 later. I figured I'd start on the Su-22 now while I have a printer. Later today I won't, so I'll build the MiG-21 then, and take pictures to make the instructions.

Paragon

I just finished constructing the first Prototype of the Su-17/22. Just as a note, I have created missile struts to attach to the hardpoints for this model, though I did not attach them to this build. Everything went relatively well, though I see a few things to fix. Otherwise, I consider it done, and ready to be colored. Before I do that I will construct the colored Mig-21 and document the process, so I can use the photos for instructions.

Obligatory pictures of the Su-22 prototype:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 29

Paragon

Good news: I just recieved a reply from Ojimak concerning the MiG-21 model, and after looking at the kit I have designed says the model is mine, I don't have to worry. I think he may be annoyed with my asking so much.

Since each version will be based on that model, with my own changes, I don't feel it necessary to ask him if each of them are ok, they will each be even more different from the F-8J I used for a little help.

Also, the instructions for the MiG-21 are nearly finished. Expect the entire kit to be released later today. I'll post pictures of the finished model too.

Dragos

Hello Paragon, your models looks just great. Thanks a lot for the romanian version. Just entered in the "to build" list sign1sign1sign1

Paragon

I have begun designing the Su-7. I decided to create a totally new fuselage for this model instead of using the one created for the MiG-21 and Su-22. This fuselage will be compatible with the Su-9 and a possible Su-17 variant. I also believe the same fuselage can be used with minor modification for a MiG-19 model as well, the modification being that the rear is squashed a little for a twin exhast. Since wings and stabilizers are so easy to create for these models, it won't be too much work.

I could paint the Su-22 however, considering the model is complete. What would everyone prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.