Der Glaskasten

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
Hi friends. I'm back with a new build thread on a railway subject. This time with a very nice little locomotive I fell in love at first sight.
I think all of you have a drawer full of cardmodels you bought impulsively somewhere and put in there waiting for the inspiration to start building them. I've a room full of models (not only cardmodels) waiting to be "rediscovered"... I think, like most of you, I don't have a chance to live enough to build them all (and this is a consideration that saddens me a lot).

Anyway... even if I have several "big" projects halfway done I insist starting new builds instead of finishing the incomplete ones... This is one of those cases...
I heard this little locomotive calling me from the bottom of the drawer and I didn't have the heart to ignore the call. And so we are here to see how to deal with it.

This is a very nice model by Kurt Fehling (KF Modell) that has the particularity of being printed in different colored cardboard sheets. This should avoid the need to paint the edges because they are in the right color. Anyway the final result is not at the quality level of a color printed model (the sheets are printed in black). Especially the black parts (printed in black on dark grey cardboard) doesn't show well their details and the overall result is a little bit "confuse".

I decided to try a new "build style" that I saw often used from other modelers. I'll scan all the parts, print them on white cardboard, add all the surface details (bolts, rivets, panels...) and, once finished, I'll paint the model like if it was a plastic one. This way I will be also able to add all the extra details I'll realize to enhance the model.

I found a german forum where a real "master" did a wonderful work building a great model on this subject. He had the chance to see the originalm loco in a museum and has a lot of documentation. I contacted him and he was very kind and accepted to collaborate with me giving me all the help I'll need during the build.

So let's start...
ptl_4522_lg.jpg
This is the PtL 2/2 "Glaskasten" (glass box) a very tiny and nice loco-tender used from 1908 in the Royal Bavarian State Railways branch lines, and survived after the WWII where they operated for the Deutsche Bundesbahn until 1963.

img_2010.jpg
And this is the cardmodel I started from. You can see the colored cardboard sheets printed in black. Only one is white and printed in color.

I scanned all the the sheets, printed them on white cardboard and started drawing several additional details to be added to the chassis to enhance the shapes. My work is based on the documentation I received from my new german friend.

pezzi.jpg
This is, just to give an idea, the first batch of new pieces I realized to complete the chassis.

And the build starts...

DSC09509.JPG
Some of the chassis parts ready to be assembled

DSC09510.JPG
DSC09511.JPG
All the parts you see here are taken straight from KF model.

DSC09512.JPGDSC09513.JPG
To strenghten the structure and keep it square I added little triangles at the corners

Last edited:

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
DSC09514.JPG
To simulate little rivets I used a syringe needle pressed onto the surface
DSC09515.JPG

DSC09516.JPG
This is one of the revisited axle supports.

DSC09517.JPG
I decided to realize all the bolts from cardboard using my invaluable punch'n die tool from RP Toolz. This way I can fix the bolts using PVA glue.

DSC09518.JPG
The final result is pretty nice. Once painted it will be very realistic.

DSC09522.JPG
This is one of the wheel axle supports realized the same way.

DSC09523.JPG
And this is the first suspension ready to be attached to chassis side.

This is all for now. See you soon with next update.

Ciao

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The master is back - YAY! :)

This is a beautiful start! What scale is the model and how big will it be when finished?

Anyway... even if I have several "big" projects halfway done I insist starting new builds instead of finishing the incomplete ones... This is one of those cases...
I heard this little locomotive calling me from the bottom of the drawer and I didn't have the heart to ignore the call. And so we are here to see how to deal with it.
Thank Goodness I'm not alone! :hammerhead:

I think, like most of you, I don't have a chance to live enough to build them all (and this is a consideration that saddens me a lot).
Perhaps you don't - I intend to live forever. :D

We all should move to Mars. No deviations, plenty of space, a year takes twice as long as a year on Earth, so..! ;)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That engine is so freakin' cute!! :)

Reactions: Tonino

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
I have to start with WOW!!
You have started again with a crisp and clear build.
For sure I will follow this thread.
Can;t wait to see your next update.

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
This is a beautiful start! What scale is the model and how big will it be when finished?
The scale is 1:30 so, as the real loco is 7 metres long the model will be approximately 23 cm.

Perhaps you don't - I intend to live forever. :D
Hummmm.... you should give me the address of your doctor. I want the same thing he gives to you... ;)

I'm so happy to be again with you my friends!

• Love
Reactions: Revell-Fan

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I am glad to see that you are back! This looks like it is going to be a very interesting project! You are off to a great start!!!
I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out! Once again, welcome back!

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Great start to what, I'm sure, will be another amazing build. Good Luck with this.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Get some pictures of the guy when he was young, and make a clay model of him in the loco. ;)

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
A little update... the work proceeds slowly as I have little time for modelling...

DSC09526.JPG
DSC09527.JPG
I'm starting to enjoy making bolts. Here I put little circles in the center of the bigger ones (this is the cylinder mounting plate) to simulate the screws.

DSC09529.JPG
This is one of the suspension attachements

DSC09530.JPG
A nice trick to glue little paper cylinders without going mad trying to keep them round while setting.

DSC09533.JPG
And this is a first batch of chassis parts ready to be attached to main body.

But before doing this I have to solve a rivet dilemma...

DSC09531.JPG
I wanted to avoid too much punch'n die work, tried putting little drops of PVA glue to simulate the rivets.
I added some color to the glue to better visualize the drops.
Unfortunately I soon realized that is very difficult to obtain drops of the same size and shape.

This try was a complete disaster. I have to clean the side wall and restart from the beginning. I must find another solution...

Last edited:

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Looks Great so far, and I need to find me a set of those clips... They would help me roll cylinders better.

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
Hi friends, sorry for not being here more. But I don't forget to post my little progresses in this "more-complex-than-I-expected" build...

Here is the solution to the rivet dilemma: I choose to adopt different solutions depending on rivet/bolt dimensions.

For the standard rivets I decided to return to the old punch'n'die, I don't use cardboard since with little dimensions the little rivet tends to delaminate and destroy itself. So they are obtained from a plasticard sheet.

DSC09534.JPG

When the rivets are little (and numerous) I make them with little drops of pva glue. Even if they are not all identical I hope it will be not so evident.

DSC09535.JPG

Bigger rivets are made with a combination of the previous techniques: a little plasticard disc and a drop of glue on it to make the semispherical surface.

DSC09537.JPG

DSC09538.JPG
Here you see the difference: without the drop of glue (the closer ones to the left, sorry, out of focus) and with the drop of glue (the other ones).DSC09541.JPG

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
... and now let's take a look to the cylinders.

DSC09547.JPG

I first realized a custom piece to keep parallel the side walls.

DSC09548.JPG

with my usual "micro-tabs" technique I make easier the placement of the curved surface.

DSC09550.JPG

The cylinders are taking shape...

DSC09549.JPG

When the original model provide a flat 2D piece I cannot resist: I must re-do it in the real shape like in this case.

DSC09552.JPG

You can say I never choose the easy way to do things. Like this time with all these bolts, very difficult to manipulate, even with tweezers.

DSC09557.JPG

...but the final result is worth the pain.

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Very interesting subject and very clever ways to adapt your rivets and bolts... (taking notes, as my next build has rivets!)

I had a project in the works and wondered how to add domed rivets, without resorting to buying resin detail sets.

So one of my model making chums suggested sewing pins, just nip the top off, or push through and cut - "hey presto!" he said ;)

Looking forward to more loco action!