DCC questions

cva66

Hi Guys,

I just joined today. My name is Walt.

I am currently doing research on DCC as it is applied to On30.

For starters, is DCC easily adapted to automated train control? As an example, can a trigger source (say, a trackside reed switch) be used to cause a DCC command for the train that caused the switch closure?

Please let know if this the sort of thing you guys discuss here and if this the format I should use to ask my questions.

Thanks,
Walt

Bill Nelson

Walt,

I'm mainly an old school Dc guy, but I have been beginning to mess with DCC at my club, where sound is the main lure for me.

I don't have any experience with them, but it is my understanding that there are accessory decoders, that can be used to control a switch, or a number of switches.

Hopefully there is someone more knowledgeable about this than I am to give us some more details; but I wanted to tell what little I know about the subject, and to welcome you to this forum. please share your projects, so we can all benifit from your experieces.

Bill nelson

jagiannovario

For starters, is DCC easily adapted to automated train control? As an example, can a trigger source (say, a trackside reed switch) be used to cause a DCC command for the train that caused the switch closure?
Walt

Walt: The answer is likely No. The switch closure can't send a DCC coded signal to the locomotive without knowing the locomotive's address. You can't hard-code the address because then only the one engine would respond, but even if you could, how would you tell the engine what to do once you got its attention?

Perhaps if you explained in more detail what you'd like to do, you would get a more precise answer.

Joe

Lighter

The answer is likely No.

All that sort of DC traditional control knowledge has to be tossed. Automation is a software issue and driven by computer control. That specific example would require transponding decoders (Decoders that report their location to a computer program. Mainly for signaling reasons.) which are at the edge of the frontier.

Having typed all that, for all I know someone may have a DCC circuit out there that does a similar action. There are a lot of cottage industry doo dads and add ons available. As well as open source software.

That pretty much exhausts my knowledge of that sort of automation.:mrgreen:

Z

Zathros

I would recommend a good local train hobby shop, even if you have to drive a bit, and get the dope on the latest set ups it. They will tell you what you need. Buy something from the guy or next time you go there, he may not be so open. Buy a set up from him. I support my local hobby shop. It's worth it, then, start reading and studying. DCC can send signals down a track and with the processors now-a-days, I wouldn't be surprised if you could automate far more than you imagined. Especially with some nand gates. :)