Cutting uniform square holes

cecilmeyer

Jan 23, 2021
I need a way to cut uniform square or rectangular holes for a space station model. I thought about a square hole punch but they are either too big or small. I have to cut about 300 of them . Any suggestions guys?

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
I think Rhaven's suggestion would be the best way to go. Tedious, but it will get it done.

How big are the squares that are needed to be cut out?

Reactions: zathros

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Edit: Sorry I just noticed you need square holes, not round. Possible solution is to adhust old blade to the length of your square side and cut with it like with a chissel.

I do not know how big are your holes, but I use this set for punching small holes (0,25mm - 1,35mm)

pictureprovider.jpg

Reactions: cecilmeyer

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Always start your cutting at one edge and proceed towards the middle, then rotate the sheet and make the cut from the opposite edge. Do not pull the knife but press it down into the paper, move it gently a bit back and press it down again. Work through the entire outline of the window. That gives you full control of the cut and prevents it from accidentally damaging the rest of the part.

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I agree, never drag. You could also consider, if all the holes are the same size, and the piece will stack up, cut the holes, put an edge of hard glue on each one, let dry, and I mean just the edge. After drying, stack them, lined up, then file the edges square to obtain the same exact square for each hole. If that is not possible, make or find something that shape, hammer the shape into the paper, the cut with the Exacto-Blade, this will give you a compressed line to follow, and you will get less fuzzy edges. :)

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
If you use a plate, something like hard rubber, and you can find a flat nose screw driver that fits your requirements, you can punch them thru slowly and carefully thru the paper and into the hard rubber thong sandal or perhaps shoe soul and accomplish that. I have used that before and it worked well. Also, a hobby store might have the right sized square angle planks and if you sharpen the end against a sharpening stone, that will also work.

cecilmeyer

Jan 23, 2021
I agree, never drag. You could also consider, if all the holes are the same size, and the piece will stack up, cut the holes, put an edge of hard glue on each one, let dry, and I mean just the edge. After drying, stack them, lined up, then file the edges square to obtain the same exact square for each hole. If that is not possible, make or find something that shape, hammer the shape into the paper, the cut with the Exacto-Blade, this will give you a compressed line to follow, and you will get less fuzzy edges. :)
Thanks Ill try that!

Reactions: zathros

cecilmeyer

Jan 23, 2021
Edit: Sorry I just noticed you need square holes, not round. Possible solution is to adhust old blade to the length of your square side and cut with it like with a chissel.

I do not know how big are your holes, but I use this set for punching small holes (0,25mm - 1,35mm)

View attachment 191235
Im looking into a square punch.

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Im looking into a square punch.

You can use this type of blade and shorten it to be about 2 mil wide.

olfa-kb4-f5.jpg

Then you can "punch" four sides of each square quite fast. I saw it done this way (much more then 400 squares) and the guy did it realy precise. It looked like laser cut.

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

cecilmeyer

Jan 23, 2021
You can use this type of blade and shorten it to be about 2 mil wide.

olfa-kb4-f5.jpg

Then you can "punch" four sides of each square quite fast. I saw it done this way (much more then 400 squares) and the guy did it realy precise. It looked like laser cut.
I tried using a small flat head screw driver. It works but it takes a lot of effort to make sure they are straight!