CR90-Corellian Corvette "Tantive IV"

tiluchi

Greetings again dear friends!!
I'm back with the next model, just like I said.
As you know, I've attached almost exclusively to the line of Star Wars models. And frankly I enjoy doing more classical models of the original trilogy saga. So here I start with the first ship we all saw emerging at the begining of the Episode IV, the consular ship "Tantive IV" also known as the "Blockade Runner". There we witnessed princess Leia trying to make a run for its money with the stolen Death Star plans on her way to Alderaan.

The completed model have about 39cms (about 15.5") long and also didn't needed too many modifications to the original design. But because of their shape and length, it did needed some internal reinforcements, this to avoid deformation during and after assembly.

I started with the tail, the section corresponding to the engines. Each engine is composed of two parts to be assembled, a box and a cylinder.
This work was repeated 11 times, for the 11 engines that make up this section.

Once all is finished I continued with the next part of the tail section. The box that will connect all engines and will serve as an anchor for the next section of the ship. This "central case" of the tail section also consists of two parts that had to be reinforced with cardboard so they are rigid enough and also support all the parts that are attached to this one.
The following eight pieces, are what bind the 8 engines to the central tail box. These are easy to assemble and do not require any reinforcement.

Once you have all the 8 pieces, attach this ones first to the tail's central box and then glue the engines. This is done in order to ensure that each engine is straight and well in place. At the end you will get the complete tail section with the engines properly aligned and spaced from each other.

This concludes the assembly of the tail section. Is not too complicated but it needs enough reinforcing, imagination and ingenuity to make it sturdy and solid. Later I will continue with the middle section of the ship.

Saludos.
Tiluchi

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
You are off to a really good start.
This looks like it would be a GREAT model for GREEBLING!
If I may ask, where did you get the model?

dnalor

Yes this could be your greeble-ing death..:)
These designs are awsome...

and the build is also great!!!!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I imagine this will be a fun build thread . Good luck! :)

tiluchi

Yes... that's the one Spartacus.

Now...back to the model. This one is about the mid-section of the ship. Here is where the most work is demanded in the pieces for the assembly, unfortunatly i got carried away and didn't took enough pictures of the process in detail. sorry guys...

Anyway... this is the start of the mid-section. It's composed by 6 paper cilinders facing each other. It's very important to practice the joining secuence before add any glue, to establish an order. For this is better to leave the bottom cilinder "open" (don't glue the lid) and finished at last.
This way, one can acces to the interior of the other cilinders and glue all the inside tabs properly. Once this is done, close the bottom "lid" and then I placed a rolled piece of paper on the inside on the section, thus to keep the section reinforced without any internal structure.

dsc04323ce.jpg

Then, for the second part of the mid-section it's quite simple, but the assembly of the pieces that joins this section with the cabin section its a little bit tricky. There are no modifications or alterations required or even internal estructures.
After the module is finished, I cotinued with the cabin section. I decided to leave the union of both modules from the mid-section for last. It was more confortable this way...

For the cabin section, I started with the assembly of the "neck" that joins the cabin with the mid-section. Then for the cabin I add some details that are caracteristic in this ship and this showed only as texture. It's small and easy to make.. but you can tell the difference when you see it.

When this two modules were finished, I join the cabin section to one half of the mid-section first, and then I placed another rolled piece of paper inside this part to reinforce the neck. This also helps to keep everything straight. And then I finally joined the two halfs of the mid-section.
The final result, a well assembled and sturdy ship... and then it was time for the rest of the details.

At this point the ship started to take shape. The detail are smaller pieces that needs a lot of patience.

Thanks for tune in...don't miss the next thrilling episode for the conclusion of this thread.

Saludos
Tiluchi

Rogerio Silva

That's really good, tiluchi! Your building threads are really carefully explained, I'm thinking of making a fidelity card! HOHOHOHOHOH...

F131

F131
Good looking build, and I like the scale. I admit, the link model sheets looked a bit too "low Rez" too me (I think it's pulled from x-wing alliance) but this version looks pretty accurate.

tiluchi

Greetings friends, here i'm with the final progress of the Tantive IV

Next in the assembly line were the details and here they are.
At the bottom of the mid-section is where the Escape pods are located. This pieces are small but not too complicated. This model being the Tantive IV it comes with some escape pods already jetisoned.

On the top of this section are located 4 long-range turbolaser turrets. Also this ones are not complicated to do, 3 pieces per turret, no big deal. The part that makes the turret's cannon is very thin and fragil, so I introduce here a small thin piece of metalic filament that helps to keep the piece straight. Then everything is put together in its place.

Then comes the upper and lower guns. This are practycally the same one from another. Easy to build. Then the main sensor array on the upper part of the mid-section. This is a little elaborated to do, specially the support that comes in an odd shape for the assembly and also this one has to be glued to the ship on a tilted position, here you have to be sure that its well fixed before do anything else.
Finally another module on hta bottom of the section and its finished....almost

Once everything else is done there is just one more thing to do. Attaching the whole thing to the engine section. For this the union point is reinforced with some fins that helps keeping this section streight and firm. And that's it!!!...

Another model happyly finished..... on to the next one. Last but not least.
Its completed model photo time!!! Thanks for watching.....:thumb:

And the next model is........

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
ABSOLUTELY STELLAR WORK!!!
You did a FANTASTIC JOB!!!
KUDOS TO YOU ON A FINE JOB WELL DONE!!!

tiluchi

Thank you all for your coments... I was satisfyed with the result of thi one. Because of the size I was a little worried that i wont be able to get it right. You know, the bigger the model, the more noticeable the imperfections. But this one.. i like it.

I want to tell you also, that I'm not such a fast builder as you think.... I'm still showing you my already finished models in the order that they were made. This one for example took me like a month to do. I started on October and it was finished on November 2012. So that kind of tells you that I'm running out of finished models and closer to reach the one that i'm workin on.

Thanks and see you in the next building thread....:thumb:

Tiluchi