Copper Ridge Railway under construction

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Here are photos of what I've done so far. It's nice to be under way!

This is the frame right after I assembled it on the deck. The gaps between the deck boards come in handy for sawing...

-Rory

Attachments

• const1.jpg
    const1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,077

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
The foam has been painted, and I have laid out the main loop so I can mark where to place the roadbed. The areas of the foam that are still blue will later be covered by the upper levels. Also, there is a piece of track missing on the siding up front. I need to custom-cut a piece of flex-track for that spot.

-Rory

Attachments

• const4.jpg
    const4.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 956

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hey Rory,
It looks great...(don't forget those leg braces, though)
Are you going to do a cookie-cutter thing with your roadbed to get to your higher elevations?
This really cool getting to watch this thing come together!

BTW...I'm glad to hear your going to include a backdrop...I promise never to bug you about it again! :D

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Yeah, that is a cool name, has kind of a western flavor. Although copper mining is big in the east too. With a name like that Rory you will have to model a few copperhead snakes to scatter around the layout.:p I don't know how you plan on doing your risers, but I used Woodland Scenic riser kits and am real happy with em'. It's no sweat keeping your grade consistent will going thru regular or compound curves (keeps you from cheating also).If you put leg braces around the legs horizontally you can then mount a shelf to it and have a place for your tools, etc. I covered the front side of my benchwork with double sided masonite held on with velcro, hides the clutter on the shelf but pops right off when I need something. Also makes the benchwork super strong.And you thought once you settled on a track plan everybody would go away and leave you alone:D.

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Rory, you only made one mistake! .... showing us that you've started to build! :D

Now you have to keep going hard at it as we all want to see the progress as it happens.... none of this "running trains" just coz track is fit for running! You have the skill, ballast, trees, buildings, ground cover, and power supplies ... I'll get your wife to hide the power pack except for one hr test runs once a week :D . That should keep you building! :) . (Am I wicked or what???? :D )

So far your design looks like a real goer! good work there friend.

Errol

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Well, guys, progress has slowed down today. All I've managed to do is put down the roadbed for the mainline. Hopefully tomorrow I can lay the mainline track.

I thought it was a pretty neat name, too. I was trying to think of some kind of mining industry that I don't see modeled very often, and came up with copper. There's not a lot of difference as far as the structures are concerned, but I figured that I could at least say "it's a copper mine" and not "it's a coal mine!" Rice's Mount Galena Mines Railroad was sort of the inspiration for doing a mining layout. Also, I wanted to have a more realistic sounding name. But the Copper Ridge Railway (which will actually be the name of the branch) interchanges with the R&K. I really love the "K" part of that name! :)

Here is a really cool picture of an old copper mine in Alaska. This is my inspiration for a scratchbuilt structure:

http://www.alaskagold.com/copper/mcarthy/mcarthy.html

Oh, and you might notice in the picture attached below that the plaid skies have followed us to the new house!

-Rory

Attachments

• const5.jpg
    const5.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 888

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Oh, and speaking of copperheads...

The night that we were loading up the moving truck, one of my helpers pointed out a copperhead snake that had come out from underneath the truck. The hoe and shovel were in storage across town, and most of the house was packed away inside the truck; so I started looking around for a weapon to kill the snake. The only thing I could find were the spare sheets of plywood that I had been saving for a future layout. So, I grabbed the long one and (all of you animal rights folks turn away for the next few words) whacked it into a pulp.

That's the second time in my life that I've killed a snake with lumber.

That same sheet of plywood now makes up the long sides of the Copper Ridge benchwork. Don't worry...I cut off the "business end" of the board...

Ironic, isn't it? :)

-Rory

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
That is a great site to see the coppermine and the comment about the CR & NW.
As far as snakes go. I grew up in South Africa and virtually every snake we saw was posinous and we got rid of them anyway possible. One time we were visting friends and the lady of the house said she had been chopping wood when a "boom slang" , dropped from the tree onto her shoulders. Well she didn't stop chopping until this deadly snake was in tiny pieces

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I can run trains again! All of the track on the lower level is now powered. Here are pictures of my SW9/1200 going on a test drive and pulling a short train. That's my Gauge Industries box on the flatcar. The second picture is a close-up of the control panel.

The wiring on this layout has been very easy so far. I'm using those little eye-hook picture hanger thingies to route the wires on the underside.

What's next? I don't know. I might sit back and look at it for a little while before I continue. Hmmmm...the crossbraces still need to be installed on the legs...but I'd like to get the second level put in...decisions...decisions...

-Rory

Attachments

• const6.jpg
    const6.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 395

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
I knew it! .... I JUST KNEW IT!!!!
Say cheerio to Rory for a few months guys .... The guys on the The-Gauge? Oh, they don't matter.. Rory is busy running trains!

Well, my pal works in the electricity distribution centre near you Rory.... Are you listening????? If we don't get at least one pic a week from you of your progress it's chop chop on your electricity supplies! And NO! you can't have the use of your car battery! your wife needs the car! State ordnance 22 says batteries can no longer be bought in your state as they are an environmental hazzard!

Whatcha gonna do Rory? huh? whatcha gonna do?
Get building!! :D :D

Errol