Compass Cutter recommendations

Chuffy70

Can anyone recommend a good Compass Cutter?

Brands, reference number and pics welcome...

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
A quick Amazon search pulled up a couple, I had the off brand "HobbyLine" copy of the Olfa and it was a piece of C#@P!!! Maybe the olfa brand one is better, and it's not much more than I payed for the HobbyLine one.

Chuffy70

A quick Amazon search pulled up a couple, I had the off brand "HobbyLine" copy of the Olfa and it was a piece of C#@P!!! Maybe the olfa brand one is better, and it's not much more than I payed for the HobbyLine one.
I see there's a blade version and disc blade version too - when looking for tools, I tend to buy the best I can afford - in my real job, cheap tools won't do!

did you have the straight blade or the circular blade?

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
The Hobby line had a straight blade but it wasn't replaceable.

I agree with buying the best tool first, retired Master Plumber, I have one tool, a real pipe spreader, that was almost $1000 USD, I lucked out and found it on sale for $220 USD... I was an early adopter of aluminum pipe wrenchs, my first Riged 18" aluminum pipe wrench was $150 USD

When I buy cheap hobby tools it's to have a tool now vs waiting for the good one to be delivered.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I have curved scissor I used that I got from Michael's Craft stores. I never have luck with compass cutters. I had to cut a pile of wheels, I got so frustrated, I stock a nail through some paper, mounted it on the metal lathe, and cut way too many. I needed 8 wheels, had about 40. You could do the same with an electric drill, nut and bolt, to tighten paper, and a file to form the circle. ;)

Chuffy70

I have curved scissor I used that I got from Michael's Craft stores. I never have luck with compass cutters. I had to cut a pile of wheels, I got so frustrated, I stock a nail through some paper, mounted it on the metal lathe, and cut way too many. I needed 8 wheels, had about 40. You could do the same with an electric drill, nut and bolt, to tighten paper, and a file to form the circle. ;)
A bit extreme there @zathros - I'll at least have a go with one before I resort to industrial methods