compas de corte

queria saber para hacer circulos,por que se me hace un poco dificil aveces,que utilizan..buscando informacion encontre este instrumento ,queria saber si alguien lo habia usado,,me han comentado que sirve o que otras tecnicas utilizan.gracias
I wanted to know to circles, because I find it a little difficult sometimes, that utilizan..buscando information I found this instrument is called compas cutting, is a compass with a blade, wanted to know if someone had used it, they have told me that It serves or use other techniques.
Thank you

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
You can use a compass, but I find curved scissors for paper cutting work best. I have a set of scissors with curved blades, but since I always forget where I put them, I go back to the old way of carefully following the line, which actually does work out quite well, if you take your time. I did not make out well with the compass, as it always tore the paper with the small wheels, which are the ones that are hardest. ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
You have a picture of these "punch pliers"? They sound interesting. ;)

Claro llegó mi casa y le tomo fotos .lo compre ayer en la Universidad de ingeniería...no sabia q había tantas herramientas pues cono eraun hobby no pebse q era ta popular y que tantas persons hacian esto y leyendo sugerencias encontré todo esto..aun no lo he probado pero ahora llegand pongo las fotos
Sure reached my house and take pictures .lo bought yesterday at the University of Engineering ... q did not know I had so many tools as eraun cone hobby was popular not pebse q ta and so many persons did this and found all this reading suggestions .. although I have not tried but now llegand put the pictures

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Like always...I use any method I possibly can to make things a bit easier when cutting circles!
DSC_0201.JPG
Especially when a model has many many of them ( Tank bogies and the like come to mind as well as the way I construct wheels and tires). I do use the circle cutter ( USA name Compass Cutter, mine made from X-acto) and like it very much, Pros- works great for repetitive circles of the same size and keeping everything consistent Cons- smallest circle is about 7mm, when cutting thick stock .5mm up , for wheels etc. you need to slowly cut through the material or will tend to start to spiral cut outwards...the one I have you can not move the blade or center point in our out, so on smaller cuts on thick stock cuts a slight bevel as the blade and needle are not the same length ( BTW this one plastic but is a very in-expensive cutter ) I would recommend if you buy one make sure it is metal and the blade can be moved down to match the length of the needle, also if you are cutting many circles but they do not have radius points in the design this won't work well for you, it can be done but not easily or quickly!
DSC_0202.JPG
Above...circle cut out of 110lb card stock...very simple to do and gives a very clean result even with this plastic compass cutter! Below... second cut using same radius point to cut out smaller circle but also what could be the rim of a wheel or something similar! ( I could never get this quality of result cutting 20 of these out with an x-acto)
DSC_0203.JPG
Below... I used the very small punch shown in top pic right of the compass cutter to punch out several holes, or the punch-outs ( which I use) can be used for bolt heads or rivets and the like!
DSC_0204.JPG

The leather punches will do a variety of hole sizes either as cut outs or for circles, very hard to line up on a printed model though, but for scratch building a great tool! You must make sure that the punch has a sharp cutting edge though, since they are for leather they are not usually as sharp as needed for paper-craft! I use the plastic credit cards that come in the mail and a small rubber mallet to tap out the holes and needle files and diamond hone to keep them sharp!

When doing odd curves or circles that all the above will not do, there is nothing better than my old Olfa or X-acto knives!

Hope this helps!

Gandolf50

Staff member
You have a picture of these "punch pliers"? They sound interesting. ;)
They are called Punch pliers or Rotary Punch mostly used for leather work, but filling a good sharp edge on them will work for card.
rotary-hole-punch_enlarged.jpg

excellent, thanks for the advice, how much information that taketh note, also found something that will help me make the folds like a pizza but splitter is used in sewing believe ... in the end everything goes well we can ingeniar..y bueno.gracias work pops out the answer and consejos.toy equipping an old toolbox, previously only used a scalpel but I have learned that there are many mas.muchas tools thanks.

excelente ,gracias por los consejos,cuanta informacion que tomare en cuenta,encontre ademas algo que me servira para hacer los pliegues parece un partidor de pizza pero se utiliza creo en costura...al final todo vale que nos podemos ingeniar..y asi salga un trabajo bueno.gracias por la respuesta y consejos.toy equipando una antigua caja de herramientas ,antes solo utilizaba un bisturi pero he aprendido que hay muchas herramientas mas.muchas gracias.

excelentes, gracias por el consejo, la cantidad de información que toma en cuenta, también encontró algo que le ayudará a tomar las pliegues como una pizza, pero divisor se utiliza en la costura creer ... al final todo va bien podemos dejar de ingeniar..y un buen trabajo .thanks para la respuesta y consejos.toy equipar una vieja caja de herramientas, que anteriormente sólo se utiliza un bisturí, pero he aprendido que hay muchas más herramientas, muchas gracias, muchas gracias. 20160626_232402[1].jpg 20160626_232848[2].jpg 20160626_232302[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Escribas in Ingles,, Blanca!!!!

I have not had good luck with the yellow compass cutter. I find it quicker to cut out the wheel with scissors. I have one of those leather punches. You're right about having to have a sharp end. I did that on my metal lathe. I just knew them as the "leather hole punch tool".

Gandolf50

Staff member
Yeah, Gandolf already posted a picture, they are mainly used for leather, but it can also punch good holes into cardstock. But: They don't work at all with thin paper, I bought them mainly for bookbinding (see attached pictures).

I'm thinking about getting the compass cutter, the results look good! (and I'm a total maniac when it comes to tools, I just can't have enough...)

View attachment 152366 View attachment 152367 View attachment 152368

I agree, and also disagree! First off there are several types of punches... Hollow Punches or Book Punches. and Leather punches are all almost identical ... but you have to be careful on your purchase as some punches are not ground with a cutting edge, they will work fine for leather but will mangle card or paper, below is an example....these are sold at hobby shops and online as book punches or just called punch sets, you can see there is no cutting edge to speak of, the inner surface will cut leather. These can be used but you have to file a cutting edge on them!
TL2889.MAIN.0.jpg

When sharpened you can punch just about any paper stock and card up to 1 mm thick, it has to be cut on a resilient surface, a self healing mat sometimes is just to soft, as I stated above some where I use an old plastic credit card as it is just right. Picture below is leather punches and post-it note, with credit card I used. ( Large punch I used does need to be re-sharpened as one edge feathered a bit!)
DSC_0206.JPG
The other type of punch is called a Japanese Book Punch or Hole Screw Punch, it is a hand drive and made for book binding. As you can see the punches are very sharp.
Hole-Screw-Punch.jpg
Sharp enough to punch a single layer of rice Paper!
v13555_3.jpg

[Quote = "nero_on_fire, publication: 1009240, member of: 67353"] Yes, Gandolf and a photo, which are mainly used for leather, but can also punch holes in cardboard good was published. But: they do not work at all with fine paper, I bought mainly for binding (see attached photos).

I'm thinking of getting compass cutter, the results look good! (And I'm a total maniac when it comes to tools, simply can not get enough ...)

[Quote = "nero_on_fire, de la publicación: 1009240, miembro de: 67353"] Sí, Gandolf ya se publicó una foto, que se utilizan principalmente para el cuero, pero también puede perforar agujeros en buenas cartulina. Pero: No funcionan en absoluto con papel fino, los compré principalmente para la encuadernación (ver fotos adjuntas).

Estoy pensando en conseguir el cortador de la brújula, los resultados se ven bien! (Y yo soy un maníaco total cuando se trata de herramientas, simplemente no puedo tener suficiente ...)

View attachment 152366

Last edited by a moderator:

Gandolf50

Staff member
@Gandolf50 : You are right. I was only thinking of the leather punch thing I have. Without "modification" it only punches heavy cardstock, and it isn't really intended to be used with paper. It was kind of an "easy to get and cheap to buy" alternative to the various other tools posted here. :hammerhead:

I have seen these Hole Screw Punches and always wanted one, the results really look good, no matter the paper weight. But I found it really hard to get them, even online. No online shop in my country seems to offer them, at least for a reasonable price, and shipping fees from USA or Japan are often the same price as the tool itself. :(
Yep...shipping is killing most all my purchases...or at least limiting them...the card models I end up with, I have to rely on a friend that lives in Germany and I pick one or two buy them and have them shipped to my friend...then I have to wait 4-6 months till the next time he comes to the states for him to bring them to me...cost of shipping is almost 2-3 times the cost of the model itself! I figured it out once that at the time it was cheaper to but a round trip red-eye flight to Europe buy up to 100 card models or what I could find in 24 -48 hours and fly home...then to have the same models shipped to me!!!! Shipping cost have become RIDICULOUS!! The rotary punch you have with a really good sharp edge on the punch tubes will do a very good job on plain paper on up to 180g/m2 card! If you have access to lengths of brass tubing of different diameters ( cut offs from a plumbing shop ect.) you could make a set that would work also! There are still many ways to get around shipping cost or lack of funds !

Tatoman

I´ve searched for this in Aliexpress and the object plus the shipping prices are below 5 euros (shipping to Spain).