Colour protection for paper models

starbuck

Hi @ all,

I had to notice, that the colours of my paper models loose intensity by getting older. I use 250g/m2 ink-jet paper and an inkjet printer to print my models.

I am drawing portraits, too. To fix the coulour of these drawings I use a fixing spray to fix the drawing.

Now I was wondering if there is an idea how to fix the colours of the paper models. Any idea would be very welcome.

Best regards and thx in advance.

Lighter

A photography store will have clear sprays that block UV.

Unless you used archival ink jet paper there will still be color leaching because of the acids in the paper. Nothing will stop that. But its a lot slower than UV damage.

Canon, HP and Epson all offer paper and ink combinations that are good for decades. It can get a bit pricy.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have been using an HP Office Jet with HP ink cartridges for many, many years now. I use ordinary 160 gsm paper by Rainbow, really nothing special but the packaging says "Elementary Chlorine Free" and "Archival Guarantee DIN ISO 9706", "suitable for all printer types" and "FCS certified for a fair and ecological wood management". I occasionally use A4 Premium InkJet PhotoPaper by United Office (280 gsm, PE coated and UV resistant). All the models I have printed and built since I joined the forum (about 5 years ago) are still looking excellently. I do not use any fixatives or solutions and have not experienced a grave loss in quality yet (knocking on wood ;) ).

However, recently I HAVE seen what UV can do to a picture. At work, we have a picture wall / news board where we showcase activites, news and pictures. Usually the pics come from a professional photo lab. Nevertheless, one of my colleagues added an A4 picture which didn't come from the lab. It was printed "at home", on photo paper though. Within three months (!) the colours faded away and changed dramatically. Unfortunately I don't know which paper or which ink was used but I was extremely shocked at the degradation in quality when I returned after my three weeks of holiday.

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Or we coulds locks them in a dark room where no cruel sun can gets to. Then the precious models will be safe, oh yes they will, my precious....

starbuck

Thanks for the tips.
First I will check in a photo store for an UV Blocker as I still have lots of 'unprotected' paper at home.

For drawings also hairspray does his work to fix the coulours on the paper - but I do not know if UV protection is included as the drawings are stored in a map (dark place). - I will test also this 'option'.

starbuck

Found an inkjet UV protection spray at eBay. Will try and give feedback how it works - later - much later.;-))

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That was fast! I'm looking forward to seeing your results. Aren't there any tests out there?

Last edited:

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I just use a good quality Clear varnish spray, as long as it is listed as non yellowing and UV resistant it should be ok.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Pigment Ink is what you want to use to prevent models from fading. Dye ink fades very fast. You printer must be made for this ink. Most Epsons are. They really aren't interchangeable as for Pigment Ink, heat is used to apply the ink nodules. Pigment ink is what you use for long term.