Collier’s Ferry Rocket (1952)

Nando

Designer Extraordinaire
It is not a race, and if it was a race we would not race with you: you're in a different category! :bowdown:

Nando

Designer Extraordinaire
I designed two small jigs and I hope these could help keeping in shape the engines.

32857205004_0d558878a0_c.jpg

33570594141_69b138c987_c.jpg

I did something similar some time ago when I shaped the ogival spinner, using washers of different diameter for keep the petals together.

Now I'm folding, folding, folding ... But now I have to suspend the work for a week: other things are pressing, but be sure: I'll continue the work.

Best, Nando :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I gave a person on another forum a ground effect aircraft I designed as a Beta Builder. To put the wings on, they needed to use a "jig" I supplied, just two right sided triangles. I gave such detailed diagrams, they came back (I can't build it I don't understand". I showed the model to another person, and they thought I oversimplified it. You'll have better luck than me, I believe this person just wanted the model to take up space on their hard drive. It's never appeared, so hopefully that person deleted it, like I requested.

With the jig, if placed in font of a fab, (set up with baffles to channel the air properly), like an external wind tunnel, with the nosed tie just underneath the front, the model would lift into ground effect. Thus ended my effort. It worked for me.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Nice job. They all look the same!! Exactly the same, superb! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Did I mention that I absolutely LOOOOVE to build the same part again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again...

:drinksmile::drinksmile::drinksmile:

Nando

Designer Extraordinaire
First of all I mounted the twelve swirl engines

34660540520_ec56421166_b.jpg

Next I continued with the main engines and now I'm here

35011311526_bdc754cbe8_b.jpg

The process of gluing in place the engines is complicated and it is difficult to maintain the hexagonal shape and the honeycomb pattern. Till now the result is quite satisfactory but not perfect.

And the work continues ... :rolleyes:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Nando, that looks like a bowl of candies, it's so sweet!!! :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Those pics mandate the model being mounted on a mirror!! :)

Nando

Designer Extraordinaire
Someone noted ( ;) ) that I can show the hard work i did on the engines, putting a mirror below the rocket.
But I already did a base that is sitting on the ground and I won't redo the base.
But I realized that my base is an MLP indeed ( Mobile Launcher Platform), so why not rise it from the ground with some pedestals, like the real MLP at Cape Canaveral?

Here the real pedestal.

577734pr.jpg

So i did some test to see how much I have to raise the platform to see the engines reflected in a mirror .
After some trial I found the minimum elevation. I hadn't a suitable mirror, and in the picture below you can guess the engines reflected on the golden sheet.

35385943155_f2deaf8dd1_b.jpg

Then i began to draw the pedestals, but i had to insert a rampart and the mirror as the bottom of the trench, else the pedestals could be too high.

34576498553_2f2a88c3a0_b.jpg

The result is satisfactory for me. I have perhaps to refine the design of the pedestals and supports.