cnw1961 challenge #1

cnw1961

Steamhead, that’s exactly what I feared before I started: to end up with just another boxcar, nothing special.

OK, here is an update on my project. I painted the trucks and couplers and tried to apply dry transfer decals. As you can see in the pic, some data is still missing. I nearly used up all the decals that were on the sheet. It is very difficult to apply the dry transfer decals between the braces of the car without damaging the decals. Besides the logos, the results do not satisfy me. I think I try microscale decals.

Boxcar39.jpg

ratjag

Kurt,

WOW and jawdrop are NOT descriptive enough!! OUTSTANDING work......:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I'm going to hide my head in the sand now and pretend I don't exist in the modelling world.:cry:

dennis

steamhead

Hey!

OK, is this one of those cases of you do one thing & it turns out OK, so you figure you'll go on with another litlle detail, and that turns out OK, so you figure.....and so on. Or did you set out from the very start with the end result in mind??

Whatever the way, the end was sure worth the trip!!:thumb:

Gus (LC&P).

Herc Driver

Amazing! (naw that word was already used...) Super! (nope that word was used too, but I think in German...) Incredible! (let me check...I didn't see that one...) I'm going with INCREDIBLE JOB!!! That is a really great looking boxcar! Every second you put into it was worth it. Thanks for taking the good pictures of your progress too. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

UP SD40-2

Fantastic!!!

Kurt, i have just went through this whole thread, you have done a FANTASTIC JOB!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D that boxcar is NOTHING short of truly AWESOME!:thumb: and think about this Kurt, the time it took, the precision work put into it, and the simple fact YOU have made it from scratch, and it turned out THAT GOOD makes it PRICELESS, don't it:thumb:. i would feel PROUD as heck, to have made such an OUTSTANDING car from scratch;). GREAT JOB Kurt!!!:thumb: :D -Deano

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
cnw1961 said:
OK, here is an update on my project. I painted the trucks and couplers and tried to apply dry transfer decals. As you can see in the pic, some data is still missing. I nearly used up all the decals that were on the sheet. It is very difficult to apply the dry transfer decals between the braces of the car without damaging the decals. Besides the logos, the results do not satisfy me. I think I try microscale decals.

Kurt,

Fantastic work!! :thumb: :thumb: :D I really like the "worn" look (but not too worn) that the wood siding gives. That boxcar looks like it has been working hard!

I got this advice on how to apply dry transfers from a guy at one of the local clubs:

• Make sure that the finish where you want the transfer is clean, oil/grease-free (from fingers, etc), and is a matte/dull finish. (Waterslide decals need a smooth or glossy finish.)
  • Cut the transfer to the shape of the space where it is going, even if you have to cut apart some lettering (like the ATSF on your boxcar).
  • Tape it in place with scotch tape or other tape that won't damage your paint.
  • Tape along one edge only so you create a "hinge". This allows you to lift the transfer to see if all the lettering has be affixed - if not, you can put it back in exactly the same spot.
  • Rub with a soft pencil (2B, 4B, etc). This will let you see what has been transferred and what has not.
  • Be sure to rub the transferred letters with the backing paper. This ensures that the transfer is firmly in place, and "seals" it.
  • Seal with DullCoat or other matte finish.

I have tried to follow this - and it works every time. When I don't get the results I want, it is usually because I have skipped a step, or rushed things.

Oh yeah - the guy from the club? Tom Hood of C-D-S Lettering :D

Andrew

cnw1961

Thank you for your nice comments, I am glad you can’t see me blush :eek:ops: .
Steamhead, I didn’t have the end result in mind when I started, it developed just the way you described it.
Andrew, thank you once again for being so helpful. To fix the decals with adhesive tape is a very good idea, I’ll have to try that the next time I use dry tranfers. I think I followed all the other points on your list. The main obstacle might have been the high temperatures when I tried to apply the decals a few days ago. It made the decals very soft and my fingers sweaty. Today, when I made my last attempt (because I only had enough decals left for one last try) to apply the decals, it was much cooler. And it worked much better.
And now IT IS DONE. Here are the last two photos. I really enjoyed to build this car and I already ordered two sets of doors (metal doors this time) for the next two cars. I found a photo of an ATSF wood boxcar I want to model and I’ll try to stick close to the prototype this time. If you are not totally fed up by now, I will post some pics.

Boxcar40.jpg

Boxcar41.jpg

steamhead

FANTABULOUS...!!!

I like to build Ye Ol' Huff 'n Puff boxcars/reefers, but this is an order of magnitude beyond that...!

Keep posting pics of your ongoing projects. You might have just started a new bunch of scratchbuilders..!:thumb:

Gus (LC&P).!

Nazgul

Kurt,
I never really had a desire to scatch build anything (especially rolling stock)....until seeing your project. Now I don't think I will ever again be satisfied with my store bought boxcars....as you know, My focus right now, is on adding scenery to my layout. So it will be some time before I attempt one, but your beautiful work has left me with one thought...I WANT TO MAKE ONE! (or 2...or3...or) thanks for the inspiration.

cnw1961

Gus and Steve, I like the idea that this thread (or better, this challenge, when I look at the other great projects) might encourage to give scratch building a chance (Steve, you are doing it already, have a look at your scenery).

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
cnw1961 said:
Gus and Steve, I like the idea that this thread (or better, this challenge, when I look at the other great projects) might encourage to give scratch building a chance (Steve, you are doing it already, have a look at your scenery).
Thanks Kurt - (And Gus & Steve) This is why we do these challenges... to encourage other members to try someting.... You don't have to win to get tips and compliments about your work.... All you got to do is try :) It takes time - but we all know, that if you dont try - you'll never learn and you won't get the satisfaction of building something yourself and showing it off :D :D :D

steamhead

Hi,

I think you might want to post a list of items (and where they may be bought) you used to come up with this beauty.

Agan, congratulations.

Gus (LC&P).

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
jawdropjawdrop WWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW :eek: :eek:

That is an awsome ATSF Boxcar.:thumb: :thumb:

If I hadn't been following this thread, I would have never guessed that it was a scratch built car.

Fantastic Job:thumb: :thumb:

cnw1961

TruckLover, thank you for your nice WWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW.
Gus, as I am living in Germany, I am a bit restrickted when it comes to american modeling stuff. I can order everything from Walther’s at my LHS, but that is nearly all I can get. Everything else I need for scratch building (styrene, stripwood, wire), I buy at a local architectural model supply. I think I am lucky to have this shop in our town. Here is a list of items I used to build this car:
Accurail wood boxcar as a sample
.040 styrene – body, roof, floor, braces, underframe
.020 styrene – braces on top of the roof, first 2 braces on right side of doors, backside of doors and lower door tracks
.012 styrene – base of braces and on corners, underframe (have a look at the pic attached to this post)
.040 stripwood – sides, bottom of floor, roofwalk
.012 steel wire – grab irons, brake
.020 steel wire – vertical brake staff
.040 brass wire – air hoses and air pipes
Tichy Tarin Group #3005 – K-brake
Tichy Tarin Group #3017 – wood doors and door tracks
Tichy Tarin Group #3033 – freight car ladders
Tichy Tarin Group #3038 – stirrups
Kadee Bettendorf trucks and #58 couplers
Woodland Scenic dry transfer decals # DT601 and # DT604

Boxcar46.jpg