Chariot Design / Build (Ultimate R.V.)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
I don't remember off hand if Rhino can work with .FBX. ? ;)
Absolutely...and it will even import FBX ASCII versions, which I end up from time to time.
If you cann export from ketchup down to Version 8, it will work in Rhino.
Not any more...Down to Version 8 that is...save or download is now limited to 2017>2020 versions...

Reactions: micahrogers

zathros

-----SENIOR----
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 6, 2013
Yeah, that what I remembered about .skp files. So many of those files looked good rendered, but where a mess in Wireframe. I don't know how Sketchup could render such a mess. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Carl, I see that your model is pretty small. Any chance to make a bigger version in 1/24 scale later so that it can be displayed together with my Landram and the Colonial Power Sled?

zathros

-----SENIOR----
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 6, 2013
There's a model of this Sno machine used at Ski Slops and the tracks are similar, and could be trimmed, as well as the bogey wheels.. I think scaling the model up would require a whole new model, as the detailing would have to really deal with the corner compound curves, which shouldn't be too difficult, and the tracks rom the snow tractor I mentioned could be made to work, seeing the Chariot was based on a similar machine. IMHO. :)

Sno Machine.jpg

SURFDUKE2001

Kartonmodellbauer
Feb 14, 2006
It will be a vector file like all the other models I do. You can scale it up or down as you wish without it getting blurred out. After I do the test build I could publish it at 2x scale shown to make it easier to build and fit the pages still. I'm building at this scale for fit to the Jupiter 2 as I built it.

No problem with the scale change for me. I'll bring it up for more discussion after I'm finished and we can all maybe settle on a kit size that works then, (if that is ok?).

My son will call tonight so I can figure out the posting location for all these projects and I'll confer with Zathros after that conversation as to here or a link. Thinking it will just be here. Tired of waiting myself. I know folks want to get started. Sorry for the hold up. For once it is not me it's the cats I'm herding... LOL!

Have a pleasant day!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
It will be a vector file like all the other models I do. You can scale it up or down as you wish without it getting blurred out. After I do the test build I could publish it at 2x scale shown to make it easier to build and fit the pages still. I'm building at this scale for fit to the Jupiter 2 as I built it.
I thought so. I would have done the same! ;)

SURFDUKE2001

Kartonmodellbauer
Feb 14, 2006
The only help I seem to be able to offer is a tutorial on vector. https://www.nchsoftware.com/drawpad/tutorial.html I wish there was more help on the subject. if you look over the site, you might find some better answers.
I have it all drawn in AutoCad already. The renderings provided so kindly have afforded me a much better understanding of the details. I don't like working with unfolding meshes. It always ends with redrawing the subject anyway, (Or so has been my experience).

You guys are all great and I will hopefully be very productive this weekend.

Stand By for more FUN!

Reactions: spaceagent-9

Gandolf50

Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Really? Did you try "Save as" and then choose "SketchUp version 8 *.skp"?
I am using the online app, I have 2017Pro but the license expired...I was using it as the standard version up till a few months ago, but now that's dead...In the online download was where I got it from, that's where it is limited to 2017-2020 versions...You used to have a long list...including all the versions plus Collada. Save as just lets you name it.. and Free version is only online now...be damned if I get a license for 200++ a year when I only use for conversions.

zathros

-----SENIOR----
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 6, 2013
I am using the online app, I have 2017Pro but the license expired...I was using it as the standard version up till a few months ago, but now that's dead...In the online download was where I got it from, that's where it is limited to 2017-2020 versions...You used to have a long list...including all the versions plus Collada. Save as just lets you name it.. and Free version is only online now...be damned if I get a license for 200++ a year when I only use for conversions.

That's how I feel. I wish people who made these models would be aware that they should save them in more easily opened formats. Oh well. I figured a worked around on 3DS Max, which I won't publish, but it's just a matter of downloading it, and not answering some questions, I have locked the program out of communicating with the internet (with Norton 360), and it's been working for 6 months. I still can't work with it though, it's so unintuitive, I will probably just remove it.:)

Reactions: Gandolf50

Gandolf50

Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
That's how I feel. I wish people who made these models would be aware that they should save them in more easily opened formats. Oh well. I figured a worked around on 3DS Max, which I won't publish, but it's just a matter of downloading it, and not answering some questions, I have locked the program out of communicating with the internet (with Norton 360), and it's been working for 6 months. I still can't work with it though, it's so unintuitive, I will probably just remove it.:)
Same here...and I was trained in AutoCad...which is virtually the same...I use it for one script that will only work in it and there is not any other one that will do what I need...

zathros

-----SENIOR----
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 6, 2013
I'm self taught in Rhino, everything at Sikorsky was proprietary and even the hardware looks like nothing I have ever seen anywhere else.