Carpal Tunnel syndrome

d5j4vu

Apr 6, 2015
Just when i'm a few days from finish this year, and thinking about returning to the board... this. I guess few of you guys know already this. My doctor think i need to get surgery, but i don't want to. I'm in the very early stage, but definitely there it is the issue. If you experienced this, or know someone who did it, i'll hear all the stories. I don't want to quit this beautiful hobby

:(

• Sad
Reactions: micahrogers

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I am sorry to hear that. I hope that your doctor can find a nonsurgical option that will help you.
Regardless, I hope that you are able to make a strong and speedy recovery.

Reactions: micahrogers

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
ao soery to hear. My wife had this syndrom Furst she sleeped with a handbrase. but eventualy she went to the surgery. They did a great hob no nore pain and she can still do all here hobbies cooking, painting and paper moddeling.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Carpel Tunnel usually happens because of a repetitive motion in an axial direction. Machinists get it a lot when they manually move the table with their wrist revolving it instead of cranking it, they do it with their fingertips. It is much quicker to slide the table across, but you are beating the heck out of your wrist. I cranked it to avoid this problem. I have known many people with this problem. Usually they open up the space where the Median Nerve passes through. They may relieve the compression by cutting some bone, or some ligament, or both. It depends on how much space is in there as to whether they go doing arthroscopy, or cut a 2" slit. The prior method heals much quicker, but I've know people who ended up having to get the surgery again because they just couldn't get a good enough look inside there, and didn't remove enough bone or ligament.

I imagine your feeling tingling in your thumb and fingers. Here's the problem, the longer you wait, the more scarring on the Myelin sheath of the nerve can happen on and once the pressure is relieved, you may end up still having the tingling, but it won't get worse. Not getting it will mean that you will lose strength in that hand. This surgery is done a lot and has a very high success rate, the problem is if you wait too long. Nerves don't heal. If you catch it early, your hand could be back to where it was, or almost, and you will be better off for it.

There really is no non surgical method because the damage has been done. Some people try wearing wrist braces to limit movement, and get the Nerve swelling to subside, but the second they start doing stuff, it comes back. I'd get a second opinion from an aggressive surgeon, and personally, as one who has had 5 major Spinal Cord injuries, get it fixed as soon as possible. When I first broke my neck, Cat Scans had not been invented, and they used to argue whether a ruptured disc was cartilage or a tumor, because there was no way of imaging. By waiting too long, I ended up with permanent damage to my neck, with scar tissue forming of the superficial nerve, median nerve, and the rest of them, down my arms and my hands. I really never recovered like I would of of if I hadn't had such a chicken sh*t conservative doctor. I was young and didn't know better.

In a nutshell, the median nerve is compressed, the pain is traveling, not good, the mechanical damage to your hand will increase, as the damage to the nerves outer layer (Myelin Sheath), it's insulation, gets scarred. Worse case, it could start sticking to the bone, and then you are in for a life long burden.

I would get the surgery, nip it in the bud. That is the best case scenario. Inflammatory medicines will not work because the problem is mechanical. My brother in law waited for years, now he can't ride any of the motorcycles he has. He has something like 10 of them. I've known many machinists who developed this problem, the ones who got the surgery really never talked about it again, the ones who waited ended up not being able to operate the machinery. They had trouble driving, turning door knobs, etc.. It sounds like you talked it over with your doctor, there isnot magic pill or exercise than can fix it. The opening is too small, the space has to be opened up so everyting going through there moves easily. It's a very mechanical problem. When that nerve swells up, it will only get worse, and there is no pain relief on the market that will make it feel better. Everytime you feel a tingle, that is the insulation on the nerve rubbing. Unfortunately, the only the way nerve can fix that is with scar tissue. That scar tissue causes lingering pain. IMHO.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I was diagnosed with this, plus tennis elbow, and because of the two together, the wouldn't recommend the surgeries until it became debilitating.

I used braces of all sorts, and Tens therapy, and achieved enough relief to get me by.

Good Luck, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Reactions: d5j4vu and mijob

d5j4vu

Apr 6, 2015
Thank you for your feedback. I know that a surgeon doc will always recommend surgery, is it's hammer. I don't really want to go to the table, but on the other hand, all that i readed about it is almost all positive feedback. I know that the longer i wait, the worse it gets, that's what i did with my elbow, and now after surgery, i fell a constant tingling. The strengh with the elbow its ok though, so i think in less than a month i'll return to get the wrist cutted.

One of my fears is after getting surgery, if i hit that zone it will scale to Saturn the pain, but i know it is only my fear, there is really no option to do nothing. I readed about changing all the way my feeding habits, taking suplements, but there is almost no feedback about it, nor at least to be taked seriously.

Reactions: zathros and mijob

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
This is a mechanical problem, not a systemic. You can't take enough supplements to fix a broken arm. I do not believe in wearing braces and waiting till the pain is unbearable. Thsy idnot ehst the empirical data has taught us. Just think of all the "Rich People" who get these problems, and have the money to pay for surgery, get it done immediately, and are fine. They don't have to wait for their insurance to go through all it's hoops and hurdles, they just get it done. You must have looked at the picturesss and even the surgery itself on YouTube. You need to have that space opened up so the meian nerve does not destroy yourself, and you get the best chance of recovery. I don't want to sound like a hard a$$ on this. If I had been as agressive on the first time I broke my neck, and had not waited over a year, I would have been in much better shape. The nerve conductive teests pinpoint where the damage is done, and i can never be fixed. Nerves are one time parts of your body,,,,, they control so much, but they cannot heal themselves well, if at all. Be agresive on this. It will be over before you know it. Any left over problemsss will tell you that if you waited any longer, by just how much worse it could have ended up. If there is a lot of swelling, they will make you wait till the sweling goes down, Micah is right about that. The trick is not to get to that point, that is when irreparable damage can potentially happen. ;)

d5j4vu

Apr 6, 2015
Well.. unexpected news. The thing is not gone, but strongly improved, i almost don't feel anything related to this on my wrist. I checked 2 times with my doctor, and (because my kinesio is a friend of mine) i have alot of therapy, almost 1 complete month, and the next week ill continue to go to.
I do have some kind of weird feeling in the other part of my hand, but i checked it, it is because of my elbow surgery, some remmanent thing. I started this week with workout, ofcourse with surveillance. I talked this thing with my doc, and he said that he's not worried about workout (and told me very clear: go back to the gym), that i can do push ups and all the stuff, the details is, i can't do repetitive stress wrist related work, like screwing several hours, that kind of work.
Related to this, i do have back pain in the start area of the medium nerve, so will tackle this in the next doc visit. He already knows this, it is probably there the source of my issue. We'll see.
I'll check in the next days how i work with the papper, and evaluate the stress that i put on my left wrist. I'm right handed, so i cut things with my right hand. I expect the load on my left it is not hard, but i'll check a couple of days. Will see.
I talked with my doc about surgery and he told me that this cases 73% are not surgery needed, that we'll do the rehab road and see how it goes.
This is strange, unexpected, but positive i think.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Great news! :)

On more than one occasion I have made the experience that pain may suddenly disappear when you expect it the least. I'm suffering from calcaneodynia which was caused by wearing bad shoes. I was unable to walk without pain for months and had to take ibu to kill it. After a while the pain diminished but it still was there albeit not as intense as it used to be but I was able to skip the ibu. Then one day I woke up and the pain was completely gone. It took me a while to realize that this was not a temporary event. It got back sporadically though but it has become managable for the most part ever since.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You may need an Electromyogram to find out where this pain is being referred from. They use very things nedles at one end, and another at the other end, and can pinpoint whether it is something upstream causing the pain, or at least find the source, and with further test find the remedy. ;)

d5j4vu

Apr 6, 2015
You're right Zathros, i'll go to the bottom. I'm having the sensation that i'm opening the pandora's box (i deal with backpain since i remember) but anyway, better tackle the issues rather than evade.